The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that got a goat that just had twins and the got has set up mastidise. The only thing I knowed to do was to give her a penicillin shot and to use camphor that was mixed in acholoch.Maybe that would help dry her up. Does anyone have any suggestion that will help with the mastidise.Thanks for any HELP!! :whatgoat:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Mastitis can be treated with Today brand, we've used that and its worked fantastic. Peppermint cream can also help relieve some pain on the udder if its inflamed. Hot compresses also work for inflamation of the udder.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Ive used tomorrow and kept milking. It actually has twice the anitbiotic that today has. Thats why i use it. First off the kids should probably be pulled. Especially if you infuse the udder, the medicine needs to stay in the udder or it wont work. nursing kids will just suck it riht back out. Peppermint oil massages are good, along with heat packs. If you do pen you need to do it for ten days. otherwise its not going to do anything. Give her some vitamine c too, the orange flavored tablets work well.
beth

·
Registered
996 Posts
Is goat mastitis like human mastitis? Do they require a probiotic after any antibiotics to avoid a yeast infection?

Massaging towards the nipple/teat works well. If you can get the kid to nurse from the side the blockage is on, that should suck it out faster. Warm water or a compress should help, but warmth also spreads bacteria.

Good luck.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Make sure if you use Today that the mastitis is completely gone after treatment. I would continue testing the milk for at least 3 weeks after treatment.
We lost a half of an udder on a doe last year from mastitis. Treated her with Today thought it was gone then when we pulled her kids and started to let her dry off that side of her udder got big and hard. The mastitis was not completely cleared up and got much worse when she was no longer being milked out every day by the kids. Took her to the vet and they put her on Nuflor which is an injectable antibiotic. The Nuflor cleared up her mastitis within a couple days but it had gotten so bad before we had it treated properly she still lost the half of the udder. My vet says in the future not to bother with udder infusions and just get them on an injectable antibiotic right away. It also depends what caused the infection how successful the drug will be and what drug will work best and also whether an udder infusion method of treatment will work or injectable is better. My doe's infection was caused by a bite on her teat. Looked like one of her kids bit the teat so the infection went up teat canal. The other problem my vet has with us doing the Today treatment was the infusion canulas are made for a cow teat which has a much larger orifice than a Nigerian Dwarf goat so you run the risk of causing damage to the teat canal which could cause a whole new mastitis problem. He says if you really have to put something up the teat it would be best to use a cat catheter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts