The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
2,203 Posts
After treating my doe with today is it ok for her kids to still nurse?
Absolutely, however please consider taping that side for at least 8 hours once a day to allow the medicine to work.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vet had me treat both sides and she won't let kids any where near her to nurse so we have to hold her to let them nurse so 8 hrs won't be a problem

·
2,203 Posts
Vet had me treat both sides and she won't let kids any where near her to nurse so we have to hold her to let them nurse so 8 hrs won't be a problem
How old are the kids?

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
It's best to leave the med in the udder a minimum of 8 hours... 10-12 would be better, and then milk her out and repeat for a total dosing of 3 infusions. It may give the kids some diarrhea due to the carrier oil the med is in but it won't benefit the doe at all if they suck out the med.

If these kids are young, they need the milk and it would be best to have a supply on hand to bottlefeed during their dams treatment.

·
2,203 Posts
IMO I would offset the sides. If I were in your shoes:
Milk completely out left side, infuse, tape. Leave in 8 hours. End of 8 hours, take off tape. Milk right side completely. Infuse, tape. I would infuse 3 times a day for 2 days.

If kids are older, I'd go with the typical 2 infusions a day, 12 hours apart.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kids are only 2 weeks old meds where in for 12 hours before they where able to nurse again she won't let them nurse unless we hold her which ends up being every 12 hours she seemed a little better last night she didn't struggle so much
Thanks for the advise

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I agree with all of the above, when you dry her off i would use a small amount of dry cow treatment to prevent this problem from reoccuring. Consult the internet for what brand is best for dairy goats

·
2,203 Posts
Kids are only 2 weeks old meds where in for 12 hours before they where able to nurse again she won't let them nurse unless we hold her which ends up being every 12 hours she seemed a little better last night she didn't struggle so much
Thanks for the advise
At two weeks, I would also intervene and start bottle feeding. The kids should be getting at least 3 feedings a day. It's easier on the tummy, and helps growth. That way you can milk mom whenever and still have milk for babies.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
At two weeks, I would also intervene and start bottle feeding. The kids should be getting at least 3 feedings a day. It's easier on the tummy, and helps growth. That way you can milk mom whenever and still have milk for babies.
I agree, 12 hours apart for nursing is way to long. Those little ones need to eat more often than that. I would also do bottles. That is how they get overeaters, they george themselves, when they get to eat because they are so hungry.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only way I could feed them more often is taking them right from her I work durning the day 6:30 to 6 I am hoping she will start letting them nurse more soon but I really don't think she will and they will not take the bottle for me at all the first day she came down with it was the day I had boys disbudded and the vet did it for me and he puts the kids to sleep so I took them early in am and she didn't get them back till 6 she wouldn't let them nurse I thought was because they smelled they went more then 24 hrs with out nursing and still would not take the bottle when I figured out what the heck was really going on

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am very concerned about my doe really hoping vet can come out and see her she is so thin it is scary I just don't know if it is mastitis or something else or mastitis and something else

image-1379768475.jpg

image-615755885.jpg

She is probably down to 60lbs she is a saanan alpine cross poo is normal she is eating like crazy I just don't know why she is so thin

Attachments

·
2,203 Posts
Worm please. Take temp. If high, start on antibiotic as well. She may just be down because of the mastitis. CD&T vaccine and probiotics as well. Possibly vitamin B complex never hurts.

What did her mastitis look like?? Clear milk, yellow goop, flakes?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She has been wormed 2xs so far 10days apart she has had her CD&T shot her temp is down too 103 her udder was really red and hot I didn't milk her too much but milk was a little watery looking I held her so her kids could milk her she looked a little better last night I did not see her this am my husband did he said he thought she was doing much better she is already getting LA 200 I just don't understand the weight I am hoping that she turns around soon she gets all the grain she wants along with hay and grazing pulse I feed her extra treats trying to get weight on her I bought calf mania to put in her food and started that last night to see if that will help also

·
2,203 Posts
She has been wormed 2xs so far 10days apart she has had her CD&T shot her temp is down too 103 her udder was really red and hot I didn't milk her too much but milk was a little watery looking I held her so her kids could milk her she looked a little better last night I did not see her this am my husband did he said he thought she was doing much better she is already getting LA 200 I just don't understand the weight I am hoping that she turns around soon she gets all the grain she wants along with hay and grazing pulse I feed her extra treats trying to get weight on her I bought calf mania to put in her food and started that last night to see if that will help also
You may want to look into something else for mastitis treatments. You may also consider getting her milk tested to see what exactly we're fighting against (what type of mastitis).

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bella's is better letting kids eat again at will and looks to be putting her weight back on thank goodness

1 - 16 of 16 Posts