The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just posted a long intro if you want to read the background. Basically, I got my first goat, a 2 year old Nigerian Dwarf, on Saturday. She seemed and looked healthy, plus she's very friendly. The man I bought her from said she recently weaned twin 4 month old girls, so she has milk still. Not knowing what I was doing, and having a goat whose never been milked by a human, I attempted to milk her Sunday morning. She did not like me touching her udder or teats at al. We called a friend who does know how to milk and got the job done. She did not like it. We got about a cup out of her. Then I tasted the milk. It was awful. Super salty and bitter. I did some research and found the soap test. Nothing happened when I mixed soap with warm water and milk, but it got all congeled when it was just soap and milk. So what to do now? Milk her often? Let her dry up? I want her to dry up anyway so we can get used to each other before milking in earnest.

Also, there are a few rusty hairs on the back of her legs, nothing major. Will some loose minerals solve any nutrient needs?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had another thought. Since she hasn't been milked since her babies left, could it just have been old milk? We milked her at 7pm last night and got barely anything. This morning her udder was pretty much empty. Can I just leave her udder alone and let her dry out?

·
Super Moderator
58,905 Posts
Depending on how long the milk sat in there, it could be just old milk. What won't hurt is to get 2 tubes of Tomorrow. Milk her out. Then put one full tube into each teat. Then massage it up into the udder. If she has a little mastitis, it will take care of it. If she doesn't have mastitis, it is good anyway and will help her to dry up.

·
merryoaks
4,249 Posts
It would probably be a good idea to dry her up. You can just leave her be and she should dry up.It doesn't sound like she has Mastitis right now. Her awful tasting milk might be from something she ate. Good luck.
Meg:)

·
Registered
30,618 Posts
Also, there are a few rusty hairs on the back of her legs, nothing major. Will some loose minerals solve any nutrient needs?
Most likely copper..which will also make milk taste bad...are you putting out loose minerals?

Reactions: griffingypsyranch

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for putting my mind at ease.

Happybleats, I haven't yet because I didn't think about getting it when I was at the store. I will get some though. I don't know if the man I bought her from did either. He had them in a dirt pen and said he fed them a mix of cracked corn, alfalfa pellets, and sweet feed. She's been eating tons of grass and weeds since getting here, plus I give her a cup of purina sweet feed and some alfalfa hay.

·
Registered
30,618 Posts
When picking loose minerals..choose one with a nice copper amount, Cargill Right Now Onyx Mineral is a good choice, Also If you can find quality goat pellet feed I would slowly switch from purina sweet feed. Sweet feed is like candy and also has too much corn...Corn is an emty filler with little value...other than helping them stay warm in the cold of winter..Best to cut it out as much as you can from their diet...(dont get me going on the GMO garbage lol)
You might consider copper bolus to get their level up...

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I AGREE WITH KAREN 100% THE LAST THING YOU WANT TO DO IS LET HER GO DRY WITH MASTITIS AS IT WILL CAUSE HER TEATS TO GO "BLIND". YOU SAID IT CONGEALED WITH THE SOAP TEST THEN THAT MEANS SHE IS POSITIVE. I DOUBT IT IS JUST OLD MILK WITH THE STRESS OF A NEW HOME AND NO BABIES. MILK HER OUT AT LEAST TWICE A DAY. USE MASTICLEAR IT WORKS BETTER THAN TODAY, TRUST ME. TREAT 3 TIMES AND TEST, IF NEGATIVE YOU CAN MILK HER OUT AND TREAT WITH GO-DRY OR TOMORROW AND THAT SHOULD BE IT. IF SHE IS STILL POSITIVE GIVE HER A DOSE OF PEN-G FOR 5 DAYS IT MEANS THAT THE MASTITIS IS FROM A SYSTEMIC INFECTION NOT LOCAL IN HER UDDER. kEEP MILKING HER OUT 2X A DAY DURING THIS TREATMENT ALSO GIVE PROBIOS TO KEEP HER GUT GOING. WHEN THE 5 DAYS IS UP TEST AGAIN, AND IT WILL 99% OF THE TIME BE NEGATIVE. THEN MILK HER OUT AND TREAT WITH GO-DRY OR TOMORROW. i KNOW SOME WILL SAY THIS OVERKILL BUT IF YOU PLAN ON HAVING HER EVER MILKING AGAIN YOU CAN'T BE TOO CAREFUL, AND ALL THESE MEDS ARE CHEAP INSURANCE THAT'S MY 2CENTS.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you both. You've been very helpful. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts