The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive the freak out, but I just discovered that my doe who gave birth to twins two days ago has a horrible case of mastitis. Her udder is mostly lumps and I barely got a half teaspoon of milk out. I tested the milk and sure enough, she has mastitis. She's a two year old Nigora/Pygmy and this is her first kidding. I thought the babies we were getting enough milk but I now believe that the frequent nursing I was witnessing was actually them trying desperately to get food. What's my best option? I can bottle feed but prefer to keep mama and babies close, but not at the risk of one or more of them dying.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Were the kids able to get colostrum? If not, buy some and feed it to them as soon as possible. Definitely bottle feed for now. I hope the mama gets better soon!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe they were able to get some. I'm just currently concerned that they're not getting enough food. :'(

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
It's too late for colostrum anyway. Get them going on bottles.
Any doelings can harbor the bacteria in a dormant state. They should be treated with a dry cow infusion before their first freshening.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts