Mastitis and using Tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Pepper, Sep 24, 2020.

  1. Pepper

    Pepper New Member

    13
    Aug 22, 2020
    CO
    Hi all,

    I have a doe with mastitis I'm trying to dry up. We went through a round of inserts for 6 days from the vet a couple weeks ago. Mastitis is back. I used Tomorrow after milking out on Sunday. We also did every other day of Biomycin...today is the last dose. She still tested positive CMT this morning on one udder. If I milk her out to relieve her for just today (I've only been taking off the pressure, no heat on udders and she's acting/eating fine) can I redose with Tomorrow again?

    Thank you:)
     
  2. ksalvagno

    ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    I'd do Tomorrow daily on that side.
     
    Pepper likes this.

  3. Pepper

    Pepper New Member

    13
    Aug 22, 2020
    CO
    Thank you! I wasn't sure what to do. Heading out to milk her out now.
     
  4. toth boer goats

    toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  5. Sfgwife

    Sfgwife Well-Known Member

    Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

    You need to milk her out completely and then put the meds in. Biomycin is an every day for 5-7 days. I would not put anything in that side for a week. Then send a milk sample off for culture and sensitivity. You have went through two mastitis meds and they jave not worked. The test will tell you what med to use on her.

    I had a doe this summer with a gram neg bacteria....... i did the same thing as you and it took forever to get her cleared up. Had i done a milk sample it may not have taken so long. Since she has no pain or heat in the side this is what i would do. In the end hers was resistant to the med in spectramast. So we did that and biomycin for another 8 days.
     
    MadHouse and Pepper like this.
  6. Pepper

    Pepper New Member

    13
    Aug 22, 2020
    CO
    Thank you. I'll call the vet back. I had her tested and don't really understand the tests...yet..
    she gave me Spectromast to use for 6 days. It worked for app a week after using it...I was still hoping to keep her for milking...
    I got frustrated and tried this route.
    I'm fairly new to goats. Not cattle or other livestock. Wow, do goats ever have a learning curve!

    We'll see what the vet says today and I'll post reply when I hear.

    Thanks again all!
     
  7. Michaela Van Mecl

    Michaela Van Mecl Well-Known Member

    340
    Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Amen to that! Hang in there sister!
     
    MadHouse and Pepper like this.
  8. Goats Rock

    Goats Rock Member

    Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    When you send in a milk sample to test for mastitis, you want everything super clean. Wash and dry your hands, wash and try the teats really well, squeeze out 5 good streams of milk and discard then carefullly milk into a clean and dry sample bottle. Don't touch the bottle with your hands or her teats.

    It takes awhile for them to grow the bacteria at the lab or vet office. (a week or longer isn't unheard of). The sample has to sit in a petrie dish and when the bacteria grows, then they can tell what it is and how to treat it effectively. (that is why clean and dry hands and teats are so important. You don't want to contaminate the sample).
     
  9. toth boer goats

    toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. Pepper

    Pepper New Member

    13
    Aug 22, 2020
    CO
    Hi all. Sorry for so long on the update. One of those times where all of a sudden life hits with the crazy busy.
    Her milk had been tested just prior to my drying her up. It was my last ditch attempt at keeping her in milk. I didn't send back in another sample due to the test and milk testing I was doing.

    It may be crazy but here's what I've been doing and had a clear test this morning YAYY almost a clear CMT a few days ago.

    Mastoblast daily/Tomorrow every 3-4 days. Only milking out the one side that had issues and only on days I was using the Tomorrow. Gosh she still has a lot of milk in that side...

    I wasn't able to reach vet right away due to unforeseen things coming up and her milk test wasn't horrible, she felt good and so forth. Now I'm glad I got busy and waited.

    She's such a sweet girl and would be great if she would be a milker! This brings me to another question... I've decided to rehome her if I could get her well. I'm not about to sell a goat to someone that has issues. LOL Goat or person with issues. She is very spoiled to people on top of it all. When I got her she was too thin and I've pulled my hair out getting her healthy. She's gorgeous! But, I only want a couple of milkers. I am going with the NDs. I have one in milk with an older doeling. I'm looking for another one in milk.

    What would you suggest on rehoming her, the Alpine? I will be sure her milk stays clear before doing anything. My daughter (she raises goats in another state) had 3 with mastitis issues year before last but when she bred them this year she no longer had any issues with them! I'm really soft hearted and she has to go to a good home. Would it be wrong to list her for breeding? She's registerable.

    Thank you all again for your support! It's been a bit hair pulling but now on the downhill side!
     
  11. Pepper

    Pepper New Member

    13
    Aug 22, 2020
    CO
    Should I have another test run soon now that the CMT is showing clear? I will give it more time to be on guard for relapse of any kind
     
  12. ksalvagno

    ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    I would have her tested. What about keeping her for now and breed her. Then when she has kids, sell them. Make sure she is mastitis free and sell her as a goat in milk. Then you can know for sure.
     
    Sfgwife likes this.
  13. toth boer goats

    toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  14. Pepper

    Pepper New Member

    13
    Aug 22, 2020
    CO
    I may end up doing that Karen. More so if I can't find a good home for her with someone who would want a pet vs all the rest lol. Her kids were gorgeous. We got her when they were app 12 weeks. Even if she did have issues if we bred her, we could bottle feed and sell them. Still navigating to all mini's. I'll have her tested again too. Thank you:)
     
    Iluvlilly! and toth boer goats like this.
  15. Sfgwife

    Sfgwife Well-Known Member

    Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    You could put a nigi buck over her and get mini alpines....
     
    Moers kiko boars and Pepper like this.
  16. Pepper

    Pepper New Member

    13
    Aug 22, 2020
    CO
    Love that idea!!! There's a buck close by too :clapping:
     
  17. toth boer goats

    toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California