Mastitis before kidding?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by katie684, Apr 5, 2018.

1. katie684

katie684 New Member

Apr 5, 2018
    My lamancha is due to kid in about 3 weeks and I noticed her udders beginning to develop ( this will be her first freshening) yesterday I noticed one side looked much larger than the other. When I went to feel it it felt hard while the smaller side was soft. Is it possible she has mastitis before she kids?

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

It is possible. I'd do a mastitis test.

nancy d likes this.

3. katie684

katie684 New Member

Apr 5, 2018

4. ksalvagno

You can buy the mastitis test at a farm store.

5. katie684

katie684 New Member

Apr 5, 2018
    Thank you, so much for your reply!
    None of the farm supply stores near me have the test. They all looked at me like I was crazy lol. I did find it online but it won't be here for another 2 days! What I'm milking out doesn't even look like milk, more like clear yellow fluid with chunks of curdled milk in it. Will the test still work? I went ahead and bought some ToDAY to treat the half that seems to be infected (never done any of this before). Do you think I should treat it just in case? The dose from what I've read other users with similar problems is half the syringe in the affected teet 12 hours apart with two treatment total? So one syringe total? Will the treatment affect the unborn kids, possibly cause miscarriage? Sorry for all the questions, and thank you for your insight.

6. ksalvagno

Use a full syringe per treatment. So 2 per day. You will need to do it more than 1 day.

katie684 likes this.
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California