The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this Borer goat on a "rescue" basis. She has had this mastitis for a year at the place she came from without and care. The feed store gave me a product called "Today" to fill her with.

#1 Do I need to "milk out" the infection first? She is not in milk so I assume it is full of infection/bacteria. I know Today is for in milk girls but the people at the feed store said I should use it.

#2 Will the swelling go down and bags go back to a normal size? They are almost dragging on the ground :(

#3 Should I also use Oxytetracycline per the fias Co Farm website?

#4 The label for "Today" says use only 2 times but Fias Co Farm says "use 4 or 5 infusions, 12 hrs. apart".

#5 Any other help is much appreciated!!!!!

She has 4 teats and only 2 are infected.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I think you will need to get all that old, infected, nasty mastitis milk out of there first and then treat. Since its been such an on going thing, I would for sure give her a round of oxytetra. for sure.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but mastitis going on for that long and not having been treated is probably going to leave serious, permanent damage. I'm not saying don't treat her, just don't expect her udder to return to normal. Mastitis is not limited to lactating animals. You might want to do some research on Today and Tomorrow, both of which are mastitis treatments. I did a brief search, and it looks like you might want to treat with Tomorrow as it is used to treat mastitis in dry animals. I've never had a case of mastitis so, hopefully, members who are more experienced with treating mastitis in dry does will chime in here.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
You'll need to get what is in there out... patience, hot compresses and lots of treats for the doe.
Tomorrow would be the better choice since she is dry....and a course of Oxytet. She will have lasting damage from the infection and may or may not have a reoccurance with her next freshening, she may even end up with bad enough scar tissue that it will inhibit milk production totally :(

·
1,524 Posts
On top of all the advice already given, and looking at that udder and teat placement, if by some chance you do get that cleared up, with those teats dragging like that she will be at risk of getting mastitis again. Tommorow would be better to treat her with. Injections of antibiotic, and if you haven't started treating her yet, milk out some of that gunk and get it cultured by a vet so you know what bacteria you are fighting. It might make a difference. If you have already given her antibiotics either by shot or infusion, then the culture won't be any good.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
A year long case of mastitis? Is that even possible? Granted that udder looks like its been through a war. But I would figure if it had been going on for that long, it would gone gangrene and sluphed off. In any even, I would never breed that doe again. Even if by chance you do get it clean up and it was/is mastitis that has been going on for that long, that udder is destroyed. And the risk of some serious issues if she does come into milk, would be extremely high.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts