Mastitis.... gangrene

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by RunAround, Aug 21, 2008.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    So talk about fast onset. Dawn was fine yesterday and today she was flat out on her side. I swear she was taking her last breaths!

This was my first time separating her from her kids to get milk from her. Well she was laying down in the stall when I got there this morning. I managed to get her on the milking stand and her left side milked out fine, about 2 1/2 cups. Her other side gave me about a dixie cups worth. I could tell it was clumpy... but not watery. I tested her milk with the mastitis test strip and Bam, black/green dot... oh ####! I put her back out so I could get everyone milked out and when I let the kids back out she was knocked over by them she was sooo weak. I finally found my thermometer and she had a temp of 106! I called my vet and they said to give her some Banamine. I did and it took and hour to work. She was just laying out flat in her stall with her kids. I sat with her for a while and I even accepted that she would need to be put down. Finally she stood up and started eating. The vet came and gave her baytril and some cefa-lak (sp) in her udder. He gave me more of the cefa-lak and said to give her half a tube tomorrow and another half the next day. Also gave me more banamine to give her.

So now she is separated from the other goats since the kids can't drink from her and i have no where to put her. I feel so bad for her. Is this worth it? Should I consider putting her down? What else can i do for her?

I've gone from 1 to 5 bottle babies today. :sigh: She was producing all the milk for her kids and another.... so now I need to go buy cows milk I guess. :GAAH:

Gosh, I dunno how much the vet bill is going to be. :(

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Re: Mastitis.... first time ... Prayers please

Oh i'm so sorry! :hug: I didn't realize mastitis could do that. I mean I knew about the whole udder thing, but I didn't know it do so much damage. I had a doe with mastitis once before, but she just had a hard udder is all. I'm sorry to hear that!

I don't really have any advice, but sending prayers your way. Good luck and hope she will be back to her usual self soon.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I'm so sorry to hear that :hug: ...I too haven't dealt with mastitis and really can't be much help except to send a prayer for a quick recovery.

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Thanks. I am just so stressed out.

Do you think something like poultice for horses would help draw it out? Her udder is wicked swollen like there is milk in it but I can't get any out. This is just crazy! I mean she was fine yesterday! :tears:

5. harmonygoats

harmonygoats New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Northern Arkansas

Get some Today and put a full tube into the side you are having problems with. You can put hot compresses on her udder then massage and milk her out. If we have a problem we sometimes milk that side every 2-3 hours and do the compress. Be sure to give her some probios since she is getting antiobiotics and banamine.

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I was going to say a hot compress, it would help with the discomfort as well as open up the ducts...not so hot you can't stand to hold though, don't want to burn that delicate tissue.

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois

It is extremely important to keep her milked out. Putting peppermint on her udder is much better than any hot compress you can put on her udder, get some peppermint essential oil from the health food store and mix it with some udder lotion or just regular lotion.

Peppermint acts as an 'icy hot' sensation on the udder(I've used it for back pain with good results) and it helps to relieve the congestion in the udder.

My first doe to come down with mastitis really bad was Martha. She had the same symptoms as Dawn even to the point that I thought she would die because she was so sick otherwise. Her milk was yellow, clumpy and watery. Because of her personality(sweet, feminine, left out a lot of times by the other goats) the homeopathic remedy Pulsatilla fit her perfectly. I don't know what all of Dawn's symptoms are or her personality so I can't say that that would work for her.

Good luck, keep her bad side milked out that is very important in any mastitis case.

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Ug, that was sooo nasty to milk out tonight. Like cottage cheese. :sick: Poor Dawn's temp is going up again already. I put a warm washcloth on her udder soaked with Epsom salts. She kept trying to kick me away since I know it hurts. :( I didn't have any peppermint oil, but I had vetRX. I hope that was ok to put on her udder. I'm afraid the other side is going to get it..... how catchy is mastitis? I really don't know how she got it... I bleach the milking stand all the time and always wash my hands between goats and wash udders..... I feel so terrible. :tears:

9. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

im so sorry, i just went through mastitis with my doe bird but it wasn't nearly as bad as poor dawn. i used actual icy hot on bird and some penicillin and b12 and she got better but she didn't have a high fever!!\

you and dawn can pull through it!

10. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon

Oh, that is so terrible!! I am so sorry for you! I haven't dealt with Mastitis and hope not to. How is she doing?

11. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

Oh my goodness, poor baby! :(

I'm still learning a lot; what caused the mastitis to occur? Do you think it was from separating her from the kids? I was planning on doing this at night with Hope's future kids, but could that cause an onset of mastitis?

Sending out good healing thoughts for Dawn and you. :grouphug:

12. harmonygoats

harmonygoats New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Northern Arkansas

Peppermint oil works very well. Be sure when you use the Today(cefa-lak) you use the entire tube at once. Don't just give a half tube. Be sure to clean the end of the teat with the alcohol prep pad so you don't re-introduce more bacteria. We always put it in twice a day for 3-5 days. We also got Naxcel from the vet . We've had 2 severe cases,one freshened with it(scarred her udder) and one this year. Just keep milking it out as often as you can. Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason why they get it. Good luck and keep us posted.

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

I've been praying Ashely since your phone call. please give us an update when you can :hug:

14. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Thank You everyone. She's doing ok today. Temp was 105.4 but went down to 102 with Banamine. I milked her out but I only got about 1/4 of a cup total from both sides together. Her "good side" had yellow milk :? It looked like colostrum to me, but not as thick... so now I am worried about that side. Her bad side had yellowish colored milk with lumps in it. I got hardly anything out of it. I put more cefa-lak in it...

She is definitely in pain and missing her kids. Her appetite is alright.. not that great. Going to make her some oatmeal tonight. She should like that. Gosh, I just don't know how much of this I want to put her through...

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

she sounds like she wants to fight. I would see how the treatment goes and then decide from there.

are you massaging and putting compresses on it?

16. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Yes, I'm massaging it. She really does not like it. It doesn't seem to really bring any milk down. I did put hot compresses on it last night, but I couldn't this morning. So I put some milder icyhot stuff on it. Not much.

I did let her see one of her kids which perked her up, just didn't let it try to get any milk.

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

no the massaging wont bring the milk down but will break up the congestion

18. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

massage it with peppermint or icy hot.. it will help break up the congestion

19. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

ok lol, shows how much I know about this. I will keep massaging it.. I already have bruises on my hands from her kicking me, guess thats a good sign.

But the other side with the weird colored milk.. is that ok? Should I try to get another tube of cefa-lak and put some in that side?

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

you are learning, its ok not to know.

it certainly wouldnt hurt in my oppion