Mastitis help

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by luvbug*diapers, Mar 2, 2010.

1. luvbug*diapers

luvbug*diapers New Member

Feb 22, 2010
    sunny california
    If there is a post somewhere else for info please forgive me on this and send me to the right way.

Our doe recently appers to have mastitis.she kidded 3 weeks ago and the babies are at there new home now.

We bought a product called Today for her.

what i was wondering was how long to use it?
    if we can still use the milk from the uninfected udder now and when we start treatment?

we have used the mastitis tests and the one udder comes up suspious(sp)
    so i was thinking it should be treated-just in case.

she did have chuncks in it a week ago then i used mollys herbals the immune st and she is back up the her normal amount of milk in both sides.
    no temp and everythng but the mastitis test looks normal.

just wanting the experts advice on this before the Today comes in case you all think it unnessesary.

thank you for your help in this
    from a newbie goat owner
    renee

2. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    Today will work ok. No, you cannot use the milk from the other half, because the mammary shares a common blood supply, you'll get meds. in that side, even if it is "untreated". Another product that works great is quartermaster, but you would need a perscription for it, and I don't know if thats possible for you (some people have vets that will write it no problem, but others are not so willing) If you use Today, you do 1 tube per infected area, in your case the bad side, 1x a day, for 3 days (thats what I did before, it works fine) After milking, infuse the teat and massage. You really don't want to go past 3 consecutive days with the Today though. Hot compresses will help with swelling, and peppermint cream/oil, whatever is available, will also help.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    there should be a milk withdrawl on the tube

4. luvbug*diapers

luvbug*diapers New Member

Feb 22, 2010
    sunny california
    okay thank you for the help.
    once we start the meds ill dump the milk.boohoo

renee