Mastitis? If so, have to pull babies?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by amomwgoats, May 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. amomwgoats

amomwgoats Member

May 31, 2017
    We have a new Nigerian Dwarf doe that had triplets almost three weeks ago; she's never let them nurse very much, seems annoyed with them so we supplement a bit with a bottle. My human kids let me know that they are hardly ever seeing her let them nurse now, and that her udder felt hot today.

Peaches (the doe) is extremely stubborn on the milking stand, she is super hard to hold down for her kids to nurse, or for us to milk, takes 2 of us for sure. I feel like I'm going to hurt her legs, holding her that hard. We finally got her calm long enough to let them nurse for quite a while, and one side seemed full still, so I kept putting kids on it and I also milked it, and it emptied.

Is this mastitis or just possibly heading that way? I've read different things, one said the kids can't drink the milk if she has it?

I also read that she'll always have it and should be culled? That seems extreme but I'm new to all this. We were wanting to milk her once daily and let the kids on her the rest of the time, but I have left her alone so far because she is so horrible on the milking stand, and also because the kids needed the milk anytime she allows them to nurse.

I would ask my friend who gave us to her about it, but she just had a baby so I don't want to bother her:) I don't think she's had any problems like this with her, she milked her and her kids did fine nursing.

Thanks

2. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I would get a mastitis kit tester (CMT) - TSC and other farm supply places carry it and test for mastitis. If she is positive, I would pull the kids and treat her with TODAY - 5 days. No, kids should not drink affected milk. If she is not positive, I would start milking her once a day to keep less full and to prevent mastitis. She does not necessarily have to be culled. Your vet can also test and see what type of mastitis she is dealing with and if he/she recommends further treatment or antibiotics.

groovyoldlady likes this.

3. amomwgoats

amomwgoats Member

May 31, 2017
    Can't find a CMT kit near me anywhere, so will have to get one shipped but that will be a few days. I milked her and added a couple drops of Ivory dish soap (not antibacterial) and it didn't thicken up or get slimy.

Are udders normally cool to the touch, never warm?

Her udder is warm, borderline hot, but not lumpy, and the milk looks just fine, no blood, not stringy/frothy. (haven't tasted it and wouldn't know if it was bitter or salty because she's our first dairy goat )

Maybe she's premastitis? Can I leave the kids on for now since the dish soap test was fine?

4. amomwgoats

amomwgoats Member

May 31, 2017
    Also, TODAY is bovine, but I'm assuming that's the one you use?

5. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    Her udder should be warm - the same as her body temp, between 101.5ºF and 103.5ºF. In fact, I often use my girls' udders to warm my cold Maine hands. ;) But it should not be HOT.

A better way to tell if there is a problem is to take HER temp with a rectal thermometer to see if she has a fever (a temp over the previously mentioned temps). If there's no fever, then I'd just keep working on her as you have been - with the kids nursing until you obtain the test.

In the meantime, give her some chewable vitamin C (500mg) 3 times a day - it helps fight infections.

Please DO supplement the kids until you get her to settle down.

aJadeMagnolia and goatblessings like this.