The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The woman who sold me my other five goats gave me a 4 year old doe who had mastitis of one teat on her third quickening. She told me that the doe had nursed her last two kids with no trouble and that she should be fine to have kids in the future but that she couldn't use her in her dairy. The doe is in fine health and being a newbie I went ahead and let her breed. She's due in a few weeks and I've grown increasingly anxious as I've noticed that the udder is filling above the non-functioning teat as well as above the other. Comparing this to my own anatomy - it would be a real problem if a breast filled on a woman and the nipple wasn't working! Will it matter to this doe? Or does the udder feed either nipple. I'm trying to research the answer but not sure I'm understanding it clearly. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't ever milked her as she was dry when I got her. I've emailed the woman who sold her to me to ask how they treated her for the mastitis.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I got my answer. The woman said that it was very mild, caught early and treated and she was able to feed her kids on that side. Guess I should have asked her before!

·
Super Moderator
58,921 Posts
So just keep an eye on her. Sounds like a good person who was just being honest with her health. She may not even have mastitis this time around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts