The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an 11 yr old Nubian doe that hasn't been milked in about 8 yrs or more. I noticed probably a year ago her udders were lop sided. She's always had that "full" look. The other day I noticed it got a lot worse. Seems like fluid just right above the teat. Above it is lumpy. Negative for CL and CAE, temp 102 and teat and udder arnt hot. She seems agrivated when you touch it, but that's normal for her to not want messed with in that area. She also has had some lumps come and go, one on the neck that did open up but vet thinks it was a fluke ( not CL) not much drained at all, no smell, thinks just from a cut or something. And one on her ribs that went away after about a month. Her tests were done while she had the lump so I trust the accuracy of results. I don't want to open that teat if I don't have to. Don't have a very knowledgable vet right now. Trying not to panic. Any suggestions? Added a pic

Attachments

·
2,203 Posts
Get a hold of her and visually inspect the udder itself. Physically as well. Run your hands all over her. She may have just bruised it up pretty good. (Hope so).

If you don't see any issues there, I would squirt about 5 squirts into a cup or something similar to test for mastitis. Dish soap test works, or do a CMT. Smell the milk, look at the milk.

Another possibility is if the milk is fine, no issues there, and there isn't anything wrong with her at all, she could've came back in milk. If this is the case, milk her if you wish, or if you don't want milk inject one tube of ToMorrow dry cow treatment into the udder and let her be.
Good luck!

·
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's dark now and barn lighting is low so I'll recheck first thing in the morn for those suggestions. Thanks!

·
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wanted to make it clear she hasn't freshened in 8 yrs. no nursing babies or being milked. Sorry if i didn't word that right the first time. So is mastitis even likely?

·
2,203 Posts
Wanted to make it clear she hasn't freshened in 8 yrs. no nursing babies or being milked. Sorry if i didn't word that right the first time. So is mastitis even likely?
Mastitis is an ongoing lifelong issues. If she's got canals on those teats bacteria can find their way in.

·
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, thanks for the input. Still learning and appreciate all the info I can get! I'll keep you posted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts