Mastitis in sheep

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by BoringGoat, Aug 28, 2011.

1. BoringGoat

BoringGoat New Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Northeast Florida
    How can I clear up mastitis in ewes?

I picked up two "rescue" ewes today, both of which have hard and lumpy right udders. I'm finding all kinds of different treatment options, but not sure which one is best.

2. Robynlynn

Robynlynn New Member

Jan 18, 2011
    NW Iowa
    Are the udders hot or just lumpy? If its true mastitis you'll need to do a dose of draxcin~2cc or nuflor (dosage??) and I would to the udder infusion stuff specifically for mastitis~I think you do 1/2 tube in the infected udder 1X a day for 5days...someone correct me if I am wrong.......if the udders are just lumpy ...you may need a vet to look at it and give you advice...
    Good Luck

3. BoringGoat

BoringGoat New Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Northeast Florida
    They are large and lumpy. No heat. I guess that means this is not mastitis? Is it just scar tissue? If so, what can be done to reduce it or am I just stuck with one sided udders?

No vets in my area that deal with small livestock, I'm afraid. Well ... there is one, but I wouldn't trust her to be any good. :sigh:

4. BoringGoat

BoringGoat New Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Northeast Florida
  5. Robynlynn

Robynlynn New Member

Jan 18, 2011
    NW Iowa
    You didn't say if you knew how long ago these sheep lambed? it could be mastitis...hard to say if it's not inflamed... need to test to make sure.
    I found this article on Mastitis in sheep...hope it helps you!
    Good Luck!

http://www.sheepandgoat.com/articles/mastitis.html

6. BoringGoat

BoringGoat New Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Northeast Florida
    Thanks! I am not sure when they lambed. They were rescues and no background on them past a few weeks. The owner died and these two ewes were abandonded for several months. They were finally found, but only a few weeks ago. The poor guy who tried to care for them wasn't knowledgeable on sheep and was feeding them copper and free choice grain :shocked: