The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys - Need some advice from the experienced goat owners out there.

I had a post previously about one of my unbred doelings that had an udder that was rather swollen and developing. When we squeezed, there was a fluid that wasn't quite milk but wasn't sour or nasty that came out. A few weeks went by and I noticed that above the teat area of the udder, before the teat comes down, there are some very sizeable firm spots that are about ping pong ball sized inside the udder. Temp is normal for the goat, shes acting just fine, not off her feed and there is nothing on the exterior surface of the udder... but I knew something was amiss.

**THE GOAT IS CAE/CL negative btw**

Enter new large animal vet and wellness visit last week (supposedly he knows goats well), during which he told me that he didn't really like the way it felt but that it was probably due to an old or new staph infection and there wasn't anything that could be done about it, so he did not recommend anything. He said that worst case scenario, she won't be able to feed her kids.... which, the whole reason we are doing this is for the goat milk so that really isn't working for us. Overall I was really unimpressed with his answer so I did my own research and contacted my old large animal vet to see if she would respond and give some advice. Good news, she DID! She essentially echoed my thoughts, that what he said was really crazy (that nothing could be done if there was an infection), and she recommended getting the fluid tested to rule out mastitis since she had heard of virgin does getting it. She gave me the name of an animal lab and ... guess what! The results came back positive for staph (staph simulans to be exact). They even did a sensitivity test and said it was susceptible to penicillin, erythromycin and tetracycline.

I sent her a text today since she said I could certainly continue to message her, but haven't heard anything back yet and it's been about 12 hours. I'm going into town tomorrow and want to have everything on hand to start treatment ASAP... I want to do anything and everything possible to get the infection down and increase the chances of Wendy being able to produce milk and even more importantly, feed her own littles . Another level of consideration is we just had a buck dropped off on Friday and will be hosting him for 3 weeks in hopes of having a successful copulation. He's a really sweet little guy (our girls are nubian, hes a nigerian) so I'm not worried about him causing any issues, but thought I would add that additional level of information out there.

So - What do you guys recommend for a mastitis treatment in a virgin doe with a semi developed udder, with no signs of pimples or other surface level presentation of staph infection, but ping pong sized lumps in there?

In preparation for the looming treatment I gave her a dose of vit b complex and some vitamin C, plus some awesome minerals, just to get her ready to rock and roll.

Side note - What would you personally do about that farm vet visit? He works for a large practice and is having the bill sent to the house (he also insisted on doing the CDT vac himself), and I'm tempted to contest the house visit cost since his advice was not helpful and frankly, could have been really harmful in the long run. I don't want to make any enemies out there in case I need someone in the future, but I think this was really negligent.

Thank you for any and all advice!

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
So. Are you wanting/plannin on tryin get her bred while the buck is there this time? For me i would not until the mastitis was gone and it had been a while. So her body has the time to recoup from the infection. Mastitis is not a walk in the park to get rid of. It may get worse before it gets better. And you do not want a newly bred goat dealing with all of that at once and a new fetus tryin grow with the meds in mamas system either.

Next. You clearly did not like the advice/expertise of this new vet. So why would you want to waste more money for a wellness visit in a vet that you do not trust? Are there no other large animal vets in your area?

The cae vax.... i have never heard of a cae vax. I have heard of a cl one though. It is supposed to help with goats that have been exposed to keep them from contracting it. But keep in mind if you do give the cl one.... every goat that gets the vax will always test positive for it. Making it a bit more difficult to sell often times. You would need keep meticulous record and i would try keeping the labels on the bottle as well for proof to possibly help in showing proof. And you do not truly know if a positive goat actually has the disease or was simply vaccinated for it... unless you send in pus or the titres are crazy high. If your goats are all tested clean i would not do the vax myself. Make sure that any goat you bring onto your property has a recent blood workup for cae, cl and joohnes...(but i would do another myself just to be sure cause you do not know if they brought in new animals after that test was done) and kept in quarantine.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So. Are you wanting/plannin on tryin get her bred while the buck is there this time? For me i would not until the mastitis was gone and it had been a while. So her body has the time to recoup from the infection. Mastitis is not a walk in the park to get rid of. It may get worse before it gets better. And you do not want a newly bred goat dealing with all of that at once and a new fetus tryin grow with the meds in mamas system either.

Next. You clearly did not like the advice/expertise of this new vet. So why would you want to waste more money for a wellness visit in a vet that you do not trust? Are there no other large animal vets in your area?

The cae vax.... i have never heard of a cae vax. I have heard of a cl one though. It is supposed to help with goats that have been exposed to keep them from contracting it. But keep in mind if you do give the cl one.... every goat that gets the vax will always test positive for it. Making it a bit more difficult to sell often times. You would need keep meticulous record and i would try keeping the labels on the bottle as well for proof to possibly help in showing proof. And you do not truly know if a positive goat actually has the disease or was simply vaccinated for it... unless you send in pus or the titres are crazy high. If your goats are all tested clean i would not do the vax myself. Make sure that any goat you bring onto your property has a recent blood workup for cae, cl and joohnes...(but i would do another myself just to be sure cause you do not know if they brought in new animals after that test was done) and kept in quarantine.
I know you are trying to help, but you must have misunderstood my comments about the vet. My experience with him was during the wellness visit. And, the buck is already here after so there isn't much I can do about that. Thanks for your feedback!

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
I would milk her out.

Get the antibiotic and do a 14 day treatment.

If you want to possibly use the farm visit vet in the future, I would just pay the bill and not say anything. Lesson learned. If it is a large practice, is there a particular vet in that practice that does know and like treating goats?

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
I know you are trying to help, but you must have misunderstood my comments about the vet. My experience with him was during the wellness visit. And, the buck is already here after so there isn't much I can do about that. Thanks for your feedback!
Oh! I thought you were askin about him comin out again after this sorry.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would milk her out.

Get the antibiotic and do a 14 day treatment.

If you want to possibly use the farm visit vet in the future, I would just pay the bill and not say anything. Lesson learned. If it is a large practice, is there a particular vet in that practice that does know and like treating goats?
Sadly he supposedly was the one. I'm just really surprised that he would leave mastitis undiagnosed and untreated in such a young and promising doe. Good advice though!

·
Fair-Haven
4,710 Posts
Yes, do try get the mastitis cleared up before breeding. There is not a CAE vaccine. There is CDT and CL - which need boosters if your doe has not been previously vaccinated. Antibiotics required to clear up the mastitis.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, do try get the mastitis cleared up before breeding. There is not a CAE vaccine. There is CDT and CL - which need boosters if your doe has not been previously vaccinated. Antibiotics required to clear up the mastitis.
Sorry , that's what I meant re vaccines
. I'll update post to avoid further confusion

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree, clear up the mastitis first.
Toth, I started ToDay last night per my retired vets recommendation after the test results and I have a question. She said do a half tube per teat, and NOT to milk anything out, and not to rub the areas that are swollen. What do you think about that? She also said only to give the ToDay for one day.
Last night I simply followed the instructions she gave me, gave the doe some vitamin c tablets, and this morning the udders are a bit fuller and warm, but we cannot feel the lumps that were previously present above the teats. What would you do going forward?

·
Super Moderator
83,097 Posts
Oh my, doesn't sound right, you want the mastitis out of there and the only way I know how to do it is, to milk it out, massage ect, try to milk more out, then put the today up there.

I really would do a whole tube up there, so you cover more space, every 12 hours as the tube states, if it were me. However, if you trust your vet, I shouldn't intervene, but use your best judgment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts