The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just took babies off a lamancha doe. We took them off in the morning and milked her at night. Her udder is huge but we only got a little over a quart. and when we were done her udder still looks huge. And Not sure if that is a good amount. That was yesterday. Today we milked her this morning and again tonight and both times got a little over a quart. This morning i noticed she has a kinda of lump in her udder and it feels really warm to the touch. Her milk looks fine and she doesn't seem to be sensitive at all. So my questions I guess are.
What are the signs to mastitis
what do I do about it
and is the milk still ok or should it be thrown out.
Any tips are great thanks

·
Registered
31,448 Posts
It sounds like it could be congestion to me...Try a warm compress and message like crazy..kneading it like you would bread dough..hot compresses, message, milk repeat..use a good udder balm to messageing.. It takes time but you shoud see more milk and a softer udder
If milk looks good then keep it : ) Are you bottle feeding the kids and milking mom 2 x a day or just once a day?

·
Registered
31,448 Posts
Oh here is a list of symptoms of mastisis

Symptoms of mastitis include a decrease in milk production, flakes or strings on the strip cup screen and a hot, swollen, red udder. Blood in the milk may also be a symptom. The CMT kit can also be used if a problem shows up on the strip cup screen.

You can also feed her milk back to her about 30 cc a couple of times should set things straight if she has anything funky going on other than congestion : )

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We are milking her twice a day. Morning and evening. Trying for every twelve hours. We are using her milk to feed some bottle babies my mom brought me. They seem just fine with the milk. I will try giving her some of it in the morning. I have a big thing me bag balm will that work to massage. Should I do the compress and massage before or after I milk her. And how much milk would be normal for a lamancha. This was her first kids and she is about two years old.

·
Registered
31,448 Posts
every 12 hour is a good time frame...I would message before milking real well then again after just to soften that hardness...
each goat is different..average?? hummm. I have some who give 8 cups..others who give a gallon..so its hard to say...I bet once you get the congestion cleared up she will give you quite a bit more : )

·
Registered
31,448 Posts
let me know how it goes...best wishes

·
2,203 Posts
If you have Vicks vapor rub, that also helps if you don't have peppermint oil to help rub in. She also may be holding back for her kids.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I live in a little town to no clue where to find peppermint oil. Lol but I will definitely get some vix.thank you.
you all are such life savers on this.

·
Registered
31,448 Posts
Peppermint oil is an Essencial oil and can be found in most health food stores..if you ever come across one...pop in and see what they have : ) I like to whip up coconut oil, add some vit E ( just snip open a Vit. e cap and squeeze it in) add a few drops of Peppermint oil and stir it all well...I keep it in the frig in warm wether..it is wonderful for their udder and they like it...your hands will also feel awesome and if you like it..you canmake yourself some without Peppermint oil for your face : ) I do lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
update

So we milked her this morning. And did fifteen minutes of massage. I could already see and feel a difference. She kinda stomps her feet when i'm milking I just thought it was cause she was new. But the whole time I was massaging she stood stock still. So maybe she was sore and I just was a clueless momma. Live and learn right. Gonna milk and massage here in a about an hour or so.
And I got vix. So will put that on tonight and hope it helps.

·
Registered
31,448 Posts
Oh they love messages..expecially when they are congested..it relieves discomfort..: ) keep up the good work

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you! She seemed angrier tonight though. Just would not stand at all for any of it. I rubbed her udder for as long as she would allow. And added the vix. If it doesn't improve what would be my next step.

·
Registered
31,448 Posts
congestion can take time to clear up...If its real hard I would go out and message a couple of times between milking...this is a good time to feed her on the table too..food seems to calm them down, just break up her daily meals between each messaging...talk gentle to her and pet her before beginning..a special treat for when she is done..soon she will learn this isnt so bad lol....
How did her udder feel tonight..?

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Some does might not have congestion, they could just have a "meaty" or "fleshy" udder.
With mastitis, normally they will have a slighty "chunky" feel in their udder or teats, not where the flesh of the udder is, but where the milk would be. They also might have stringy, chucky, globby, pieces of "milk" when you milk her. The teats might get clogged, her udder might feel hotter than normal, etc, like what was said above.
They sell over the counter mastitis treatments.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Her udder was till hot and lumpy tonight. The lumps feel kinda like a lump of hard cottage cheese. But her milk is still just fine. No lumps or any thing. Maybe i'm just paranoid. It's our first time having kids and milking.

·
Registered
31,448 Posts
its ok to be paranoid...as little bits said...some udders are fleshy...thick walled but usually not lumpy..I have had more cases of congested udder than ever before..I suspect from needing Selnium ...have you given you gals..BoSe or Selnuim vit E gel? , I would keep messagesing it...trying to release that milk....if you ever have seen a pix of the inside of the udder, its like (to me) sea weed fluttering togethre...milk gets trapped between these chambers...messaging is the only way to bring it down...they can feel lumpy to to the swelling of the "sea weed" so to speak...
I would Def. test fro Mastisis just to rule it out...and I would feed her milk back to her 30 CC at a time...if she loves her milk..you can just give her some in a bowl...if there is any bacteria lerking causing illness her body will pick up on it and build antibodies to battle it...if she seems to be uncomfortable...adult aspirin will help...you can also giver her a few vit. C chewables ...best wishes

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks so much. Thinking I need to make a list lol. The girls have a salt block with selinium but i have not given bose.do have some on hand though so. Ill try that.she did milk better this morning not so much kicking. And gave me over a quart. Which is more than normal. Ill bring her back in in about and hour and get her all dosed up. Thanks again

1 - 18 of 18 Posts