The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone! I'm glad I found this forum :) Wondering if anyone can answer a question for me? I just bought a baby and momma (5 yr old) Nigerians. Have them for 2 weeks, and milking momma great. Last sunday, momma really tried to prevent milking, seemed sore, and milk was suddenly stringy, clumpy, and she felt lumpy. Started her Sunday afternoon on durvet penicillin. 3 cc's, every other day. Thursday she got her 3rd and final dose and by Friday night she was dry! no milk, barely a few squirts. Tuesday and Weds she milked great, some small clumps, but i milked them out and as directed, milked her more often to get out the mastitis. She's eating and drinking fine. What did i do wrong? How can i fix it? Also, her baby is 6 weeks old, she i supplement her? any advise would be great. natural is my preferred method of treatment... thanks!
;)

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
Is both sides of her udder affected?

Pen G isn't an effective antibiotic to get into the mammary system when used as a systematic injection, also it should be dosed every day, at a rate of 1cc per 20 lbs for no less than 5 days. The dosing you gave did her no good at all :(

Intramammary infusions of TODAY are what is recommended for mastitis, one tube for each half affected infused every 10-12 hours for a minimum of 3 doses, udder massage with a hot wet towel to help with edema also helps.
Is her udder empty or does she feel like there is swollen glands that won't allow you to express milk?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, she's pretty much dry now on both sides. When I got her she only had milk on one side mainly. I haven't separated mom and baby. I only have two so I wasn't sure if they would cry all night alone. :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.