The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some questions, I have a momma goat and this is her first time kidding. She has 2 babies and she feeds them on one teat. The other teat is swollen, red and or plugged. I had a vet out here and he said the goat didn’t have mastitis he just thought she had a plugged teat, and as long as the babies were ok with the one teat not to worry about it. But the teat got huge and so we were told we should milk it out a couple times a day, which we have been doing because if not it would make her hurt and by milking it would relieve her. She doesn’t act sick and no fever and eats and drinks fine. But today there was a little pink in the milk when my husband milked here. She has always had a funny shape bag even kind of lumpy looking when I got he. Not sure now what to do to get milking out of that teat or if I need to dry her up, Alfred the babies myself. Please help. Again I am pretty new at this. The babies is the first foe me..

·
Fair-Haven
4,730 Posts
Pics would be helpful here. My first thought is to put some warm compresses on the udder and massage. Get a mastitis test done. She could have mastitis, congested udder or just burst some blood vessels. Has she been tested for CAE? Do keep milking her out twice a day, every day. What breed is she and how much is she producing? You don't want to just dry up one side - you need to wait until babies are weened to dry her up. You can try taping the teat (not udder) that the babies prefer to get them used to nursing from that side, however don't do that until you get a clean mastitis test, as drinking infected milk could make them sick.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If your milking her on that side, I would think you would know if she has mastitis. The milk will have yellow chunks in it or be stringy and be kind of hard to get milk out of it at times, like it’s plugged.
I use both hands and feel all over her udder to see if it feels warm or hard anywhere. Warm compress a couple of times a day is a great idea, don’t over do it though. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
I would think you would know if she has mastitis. The milk will have yellow chunks in it or be stringy and be kind of hard to get milk out of it at times
Not necessarily for any of this. I have a doe right now with mastitis. The ONLY thing that made me test her was one single mornin... her udder was hard, she would not let down, gifted half my normal amount of milk and she was tender. That is all. After that one morning (i milk twice a day) you would never know anything was wrong except her milk smells off. Mastitis comes in many shapes and forms.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She is a Nubian, there is always a little thing at the end of her nipple, my husband takes it off and I hear pack her and massage her she milks about 6oz only each milking. The teat fills up then when we milk her it looks normal. There is no stringy or yellow or smelly stuff in it at all. As I said we did have a vet come here and he felt she did not have mastitis it’s not red or hot but it is hard almost like she doesn’t want to drop it down. He said she was plugged and advised us to just leave it, but someone else told us not to stop milking her out so that’s what we been doing.. Thanks for all of your help I did attach a picture of when it is full

Attachments

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! Being a large teat the kids may prefer the smaller side leaving this side to fill up. When you milk..how does it feel? Does the teat fill up on its own or do you have to coax milk into the teat? Does it flow easy once going? When did she kid? Can you get a pic from behind so we can see the udder and how one side compares to the other
In the mean time give her vit c daily and fresh raw garkic to support her immune system.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you so much for responding. She fills up on her own and milks our fine. I’m not sure if the date exactly but the babies are going on 3 weeks old. I think it was the 20th. When I get home I will try and take pictures. The one on the right is a lot bigger but not red just big. Thanks for getting back to me

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
I'm confused. I read that that half of the udder is big and hard. That you are only milking out 6 ounces a milking. Could you please explain again how much is milked out and how small that half is when done milking. Also what the udder half feels like when done milking.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes this is correct, the one side is big full and hard but she milks out the same amount each time approx 6 oz 2 times a day we are milking her. the utter goes down some but not as small as the side they are nursing on. Also we milked her this morning and no pink, so it must have been a vessel like someone said. Her teat looks fine after we milk her it goes down, it looks like the other one. The only difference is the bag on the one side is bigger then the other and she lets us milk her without a problem. But I will say in the beginning when she first had the babies she must have been sore and fought us a little when milking but not now she lets us milk her with no problem.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This must have been it because she didn't have any pink in it this morning. Yeahhh thank you
Occasional blood in the milk is pretty normal. Try to help the kids nurse on that side - if you have a stanchion, putting her in it might be helpful. They just need to learn that there are two teats.[
Occasional blood in the milk is pretty normal. Try to help the kids nurse on that side - if you have a stanchion, putting her in it might be helpful. They just need to learn that there are two teats.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm confused. I read that that half of the udder is big and hard. That you are only milking out 6 ounces a milking. Could you please explain again how much is milked out and how small that half is when done milking. Also what the udder half feels like when done milking.
Also, again I am pretty new with the terminology of what I am saying so if your confused I get it. I try to explain it the best I can. The big thing is she is eating and drinking, don't have a fever, acts fine other then that teat fills up and we have to milk her and that bag is larger. There is no red or red streaks and it's not hot no clumps of milk and not discolored, the milk is white except for yesterday it had a little pink in it, but this morning it was back white. It just that it looks like it plugs up and she won't let the babies milk off it and it fills back up.

·
Fair-Haven
4,730 Posts
I would test this girl for CAE. A hard lumpy udder is one of the telltale signs of this problem. Test the milk for piece of mind. I would try to milk her 3-4 times a day to relieve congestion. Vitamin C and garlic.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok thanks so much!! I will do this.. it’s funny our vet thought it was just plugged teat.. that’s why I’m asking, I will try and get a picture of it when we milk her this afternoon.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts