The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a gorgeous Nubian doe I could never have afforded, except that she had only 1 functioning teat due to mastitis a few years prior. She was in the process of drying up from weaning when I bought her, and her sellers hadnt milked her. Got her home and milked her out with the intention of getting her milk going again, only to find out she has mastitis is her last remaining teat now. Ug!
The sellers have said they will take her back- they didnt know, but I would love to try and save her udder and keep her if I can. The vet is on his way out. Ive milked her out, treated her with Today, massaged her with warm towels, udder balm and tea tree oil. Any other advice till the vet arives? (he cant make it till tonight). Any thoughts on whether I should just take her back? Opinions on her future prospects for milking and raising kids? She is a 7 yr old Nubian, has freshened 5 times, and as I said, lost the other side at least 2 freshenings ago. I really want to keep her, is my heart over ruling my head?!

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
Well, if she is gorgeous, you could always try to treat her for mastitis and save her teat. OR if she does loose the teat, you could breed her and bottle feed her babies.

Because, wether or not she has a working udder has nothing to do with the quality of the kids. :)

·
Super Moderator
59,235 Posts
If you have the room and have the time and really want to keep her, then go for it. I would see what the vet says. I know some people milk the goat out and put Today in twice a day for like 3 days and then go to once a day. Is she full or close to being dry?

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
wether or not
Haha, a pun! Get it... whether-wether..... :D

As for the doe, showing may not be an option if that is the direction you want to go with her, but just having kids and bottling feeding the babies, as pointed out, is a good idea :thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts