The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Doe that tested positive with the CMT kit for mastitis on one side. I was wondering how you all treat mastitis. Do you use "Today" like you do with a cow? If so how many days in a row? Also do you use the whole tube per treatment? I have felt she has had something going on for some time now. Her milk looks and tastes fine. I do notice a white sediment in the bottom of my glass jars if the milk has been in the frig a couple of days. Almost chalky looking. She is the Doe that was leaving blood in the bottom of the jars. That has gone now.

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
Yes, today is a good treatment for mastitis. I seem to recall that the entire tube should be used, but I don't that for a fact. I don't know how long, though, because I've never had to deal with mastitis. I'm sure someone with more experience with this will chime in and answer that question, though.

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
Milk her out, infuse an entire tube of Today and massage upward into her udder. Leave it for 10-12 hours, milk her out and infuse another tube, repeat a third time and after the 3rd milk out try and empty her udder every 6-8 hours for 2-3 days to help get the residual med out of her udder. Since only one side is affected, milk out the good side first to avoid contaminating that side.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.