Mastitis while drying up

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Green Mountain Farm, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Green Mountain Farm

Green Mountain Farm Active Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Virginia
    I have two alpine does I am drying up. I started by milking them half way out twice a day until they were starting to feel a bit more empty each milking. I then went to one milking a day and one of them is not producing much anymore but the other is still producing quite a lot. I never let them get over filled and always put their milk into the same bag to freeze for soap. Today I saw a lot of blood at the bottom of two bags. How does one dry up a goat while trying to fix mastitis? We had a run of it this year and I milked her 3-4 times a day for a few days and she was fine after that. I’ll milk them into two separate pails next milking to figure out who is the culprit but when should I milk them and how often should I milk the one with mastitis?

2. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

You have to treat and get rid of the mastitis before you dry them off. It will come back when they freshen again. Send a milk sample to a lab for culture and sensitivity before putting anyrhing in the udder. Red top blood tibes work for this.

MadHouse and Goataddict like this.
  3. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    You have to focus on the mastitis problem now, no milk should be left in the udder - Udder should be massaged with lavender and tea tree oil diluted in some coconut oil or olive oil to help relieve pain and tension. A warm epsom salt compress as well as a bentonite clay udder mask (2x daily) will help to draw out toxins. The goat should orally receive a treatment dose of garlic and vitamin c chewables (about 500-1000mg a day).

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Blood can be broken capillaries. So now you need to figure out if there is mastitis. If there is mastitis, it needs to be treated.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  6. Goataddict

Goataddict Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    How is the doe today?

What was the diagnosis?

7. Green Mountain Farm

Green Mountain Farm Active Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Virginia
    She tested negative for mastitis. I milked her three times a day, then two, and then one, and now am almost to every other day and she’s fine!

8. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Glad she is fine

Green Mountain Farm likes this.
  9. Goataddict

Goataddict Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    So happy to hear it.

Green Mountain Farm likes this.
  10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member