The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two alpine does I am drying up. I started by milking them half way out twice a day until they were starting to feel a bit more empty each milking. I then went to one milking a day and one of them is not producing much anymore but the other is still producing quite a lot. I never let them get over filled and always put their milk into the same bag to freeze for soap. Today I saw a lot of blood at the bottom of two bags. How does one dry up a goat while trying to fix mastitis? We had a run of it this year and I milked her 3-4 times a day for a few days and she was fine after that. I’ll milk them into two separate pails next milking to figure out who is the culprit but when should I milk them and how often should I milk the one with mastitis?

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
I have two alpine does I am drying up. I started by milking them half way out twice a day until they were starting to feel a bit more empty each milking. I then went to one milking a day and one of them is not producing much anymore but the other is still producing quite a lot. I never let them get over filled and always put their milk into the same bag to freeze for soap. Today I saw a lot of blood at the bottom of two bags. How does one dry up a goat while trying to fix mastitis? We had a run of it this year and I milked her 3-4 times a day for a few days and she was fine after that. I'll milk them into two separate pails next milking to figure out who is the culprit but when should I milk them and how often should I milk the one with mastitis?
You have to treat and get rid of the mastitis before you dry them off. It will come back when they freshen again. Send a milk sample to a lab for culture and sensitivity before putting anyrhing in the udder. Red top blood tibes work for this.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,487 Posts
You have to focus on the mastitis problem now, no milk should be left in the udder - Udder should be massaged with lavender and tea tree oil diluted in some coconut oil or olive oil to help relieve pain and tension. A warm epsom salt compress as well as a bentonite clay udder mask (2x daily) will help to draw out toxins. The goat should orally receive a treatment dose of garlic and vitamin c chewables (about 500-1000mg a day).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts