Mastitis??

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by peggy, Oct 16, 2010.

1. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Does anyone know if once a goat has had mastitis, it will have a relapse of mastitis. This goat has a very distended udder and misshapen teat on one half compared to the other side but is all cleared up from the infection. Will the teat go back to normal size after drying her up??? and will she get mastitis again when she freshens again???

2. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    I thought I'd bump this question up again to see if anyone has any thoughts on it. I found a nice saanen doe that has been neglected and wondered if I should take the chance in purchasing her.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Not sure about a repeat of mastitis...knock on wood, my girls have always been healthy, but if one side was affected more than the other, she may never have the same production.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    never rebred a doe who had mastitis so I dont know the answer - :shrug: sorry

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    they can be rebred but... her milk production on the effected side ...may be impacted from the past episode...to either she gives less milk or has one dead side.... Any goat ...that has had it or even hasn't........ is always at risk of getting it ....so the possibility of getting it again...is always there.... if you do rebred her... make sure ....you have colostrum and milk to raise her kids.... in case she gets mastitis again...or doesn't have enough milk for her babies.... If her teat is damaged from the mastitis.... then no.... the teat won't go back to normal.... :hug: