The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a doeling about a yr and a half old. Her udder started swelling and is now about the size of half a football. She has never been in milk and is not in milk now. Her udder is not warm. A friend told me to massage with warm water. I started today. I tried to milk her out and just got a lot of clear liquid. Does this sound like mastitis? How much peppermint oil do you rub with?

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
i'm thinking she could be pregnant. how long have you had her for and is there a chance she was bred?

do you have any pictures?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have had her for a year. I know she is not preg because I do not have a buck. Her udder also is not full...the teats are tiny.... Just huge and rock hard. I will try to get pictures.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
that's weird then..... take a temp and let us know. I've never heard of this, but i'm sure someone else on the forum will chime into help after more info.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do have another doe that is due any day....my mom said to ask if it could be a sort of sympathy false pregnancy or something???

Attachments

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
false pregnancy could be a possibility. have you checked her temp? just to rule something else out....

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
That's a little low though...I'm hoping someone with more experience with low temps jump in here...

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Well, with it being rock hard and clear liquid, sounds like mastitis (from what I've read on here)
I don't know though. I'd get a California mastitis test thing. Don't know where to get those either, sorry!!:/
Anyway, what I originally thought because the udder isn't hot, is maybe a precocious udder? But if that was the case, I'm not sure if the "liquid" so to speak, would be clear.
Hopefully someone else will jump in soon!!!!:)

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Oh, I know what you're saying that!! Lol

Just get the test, if it's positive or however that works (again never actually have had to do it) then start treating.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
There's a home test u can use with dish soap. I read it on another post, but I think u milk her out in a dish (one udder at a time), and put a few drops of dish soap, mix and leave. If the milk/liquid is clumpy, then you have mastitis. You may want to do a search or google to verify what I've told you.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
If you're really thinking it could be mastitis, then you can always give some vit C to her...that helps combats mastitis and boosts immune system.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
If you're really thinking it could be mastitis, then you can always give some vit C to her...that helps combats mastitis and boosts immune system.
That's what it was!! Was thinking of what it was.
And nice memory for the home test!!
I know that if she does have it, feed her back some of her own milk buuuuuut since she's not in milk, it's not really milk & I don't know if it would be safe or not.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts