The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just started milking Lucy on Tuesday. Yesterday she wouldn't let me finish milking her, she was really jumpy, so I put her baby on her and she was jumping all around for him too. I'm not sure if this is because now she is only being milked 2x's a day or if its the start of mastitis. I'm new at this. This is my first doe in milk. I am very clean. I have the milk stand away from the barn and clean her udder and teats with soapy water. I was my hands before I come out and wash them in the soapy water again before I touch her. I clean my milk stand after every use. Her udders are warm to touch but that is the only thing I'm seeing. I didn't milk her this morning because my kids let her baby in with her.

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot

·
Registered
31,019 Posts
give her a good look over...is her udder hot? is there hard masses within the udder..any blood, flakes, lumps in the milk? does the milk taste salty? or have any off flavor??

I have some who will jump and dance if their feed dish is empty...they have learned I will keep it filling it up lol

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only thing on your list is hot udder. But I'm not certain if this is a normal hotness or not. She still had feed left in her dish too. I called Bucheit's and they do not have any testing strips or anything to check the milk, only treatment. :(

·
Registered
31,019 Posts
any redness?? you can use dawn dish soap to test...I buy the CMT (california Mastits test) its for cows..but it works...

Wash udder as normal. Milk out the first two or three squirts of milk from the suspect mammary gland and discard that milk. Then, from the same teat, milk two or three squirts into a small clean container. Add two or three drops of hand dish washing soap to the milk, and gently mix them by swirling them together. If mastitis is present, the milk will thicken noticeably and immediately. The more severe the infection, the thicker the milk gets...almost to a gel. If there is no change, there is no infection. Its that simple.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome!! Thanks!! I will do that and I'm gonna order me a testing kit from Hoegger.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok it was all good! Phewwe! I think I'm just paronoid I'm gonna do something wrong! Do you have any homemade recipes for teet dip. I've been putting the baby on her after I'm done milking till I get some.

·
Registered
31,019 Posts
50/50 white vinegar and water and a few drops of Dawn soap is what we use...a good udder balm is coconut oil with Vit e gel and Peppermint Ess. oil...

whip the coconut oil in a mixer then add a gelcap of vit e (just clip a gel cap and squeeze) and a few drops of the ess. oil..stir and store in frig when hot. It wil harden so setting it out a bit to soften helps.

·
Registered
31,019 Posts
a fecal is always a good idea :D especially with all the crazy weather!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She did have stomach and round worms about a week and a half ago. We treated with ivermectin injectable by mouth. Will be retreating again next week. Does anybody know what the withdrawal is for the milk after having ivermectin?

·
Registered
31,019 Posts
Us says 36 days
UK says 14 days
Fias co farms says 4 days
Ivomec is used on humans in third world countries. The withdrawal times given on the package is set by the FDA after testing on cows (the use of Ivomec in goats is "extra label"- it has not been tested on goats) and it is said that after the regulated number of days there are no traces at all of drug left in the (cow) milk. You can see the in the UK, where the drug has been tested on goats, the withdrawal is shorter than in the US. Here on our farm, the milk I milk from our goats is consumed by only two people, me and my husband (both adults). I personally am not concerned about the very small traces of wormer that may be in the milk after four days, since I know the wormer is safe to use on humans anyway. This why my person withdrawal is four days. I drank this 4 day withdrawal milk for many years with no ill effect until I switch the using my Herbal Worm Formula. It is up to you to make your own choice about how long you decide to withhold the milk.
My person withdraw time is ..NONE :D for much the same reason Fias co farm does : )

1 - 12 of 12 Posts