The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my doe has mastitis in one side. It is always larger then the other and has a slightly swollen reddened area. There is no blood or flakes or discoloration when milking her I started milking her two mornings ago. When tasting the milk it is salty and very strong. In the words of my husband disgusting. How can I treat it naturally or do I have to medicate? She also has twins on her she lets them milk on both sides

·
Super Moderator
58,938 Posts
When did she give birth? Have you done a mastitis test yet?

You can use Today on her but you would want to tape that teat so the kids can't nurse on it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She gave birth to twins on the 20th of August. No i have not done a Mastitis test on her yet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The redness is at the base of udder on top inside of the teat Yes I have been taking twins off. When they were first born this side was very full and I had to milk it several times a day so kids could latch on. It is not so full that kids can't latch anymore and her udder looks more even. I will try and get pictures when I go back down to barn

·
Super Moderator
58,938 Posts
I'm guessing the kids aren't using that side as much. If you are separating at night, I would milk that side out and insert Today following instructions. Then maybe only do a tube of it at night when the twins aren't drinking it. Milk it out in the morning.

·
Super Moderator
58,938 Posts
Do you have a farm store like it? There is Rural King. I'm in Ohio so all we have are local feed stores and Tractor Supply and Rural King.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We do I will have to check. I am guessing the dairy supply store may have it. They sell cmt and teat dips and calms so maybe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts