The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 year old doe who kidded on Sunday (single kid) and developed mastitis on Tuesday morning. So far she has been on Resflor Gold, Flunixin, "Today" paste and the vet also gave her Oxytocin and Luthalyse to rule out the possibility of after-birth infection. Her temp dropped from 104.7 to 102 but by yesterday evening it spiked up again to 105°. I couldn't give her Resflor Gold because it should only be repeated after 72 hours, so I gave her 5cc Penicilin but it did nothing to bring down the temp, maybe 1°.
This morning she was again, lethargic, no appetite, no energy, udder and teat very hot, swollen, extremely hard and very painful when I go to empty it (but she lets the baby nurse). So per my vet, I gave her another dose of Oxytocin, Luthalise, and I injected the "Today" paste into the teat, I massaged and milked that side but because the temp did not drop about 2 hours later I decided to give her the Resflor Gold again (even thou it hasn't been 72 hours). It is now 4 hours later and no improvement even after the Resflor Gold.

What else can I do for this girl? Any advice, recommendations for mastitis, for pain relief, for softening the udder?

·
Super Moderator
82,188 Posts
Giving Oxytocin and Lute is concerning at this point.

Was the milk tested for what kind of mastitis it is?
Different types take different treatments.
May be why no response.

Have you tried a hot water bottle to help break apart things for 15 minutes or so?

Is the mastitis on one side only?
Do know, if the kid nurses from the bad side and goes to the good side, can transfer the bacteria to the other side.

Are you inserting today every 12 hours?

When massaging, are you using anything on the udder?

I recommend banamine by itself.

Some have a fever from the mastitis.

Give vit C.

https://www.thegoatspot.net/threads/help-with-mastitis.118865/

·
8,066 Posts
Warm cloths on the udder, massage with mild peppermint oil or any mild oil (to help the massage), keep trying to milk her out. (Don't pull on teats, squeeze, pulling will hurt and cause further trauma. )

Mastitis is a pain in the neck to get rid of.

Are you infusing the "Today" every 12 hours? Do that for at least 4 days. Milk out really well before, infuse entire tube, spray with "fight Bac" to seal teat end and repeat again!

The Banamine (flunixin) will lower the fever. Have you given Vitamin B complex? 1 cc per 25# sub q.

If you are infusing her with "Today", don't let baby nurse.
(Sorry Toth, I posted same time as you. Lute and Oxytocin concerned me, too. Causes cramping and milk letdown)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm doing "Today" 1/2 tube once per day.
I have not done the warm compress (or bottles) but I do massage it several times per day and try to empty it. Very little is coming out.
The baby nurses from both sides. How do I keep her from nursing the bad side? And isn't her nursing helping to empty that side?
Why is the Lute and Oxitocin bad? The vet prescribed it to make sure she doesn't have uterine infection on top of the mastitis.

The vet said I can't give her Banamine (Flunixin) on the days i give her Resflor Gold.
What else can I try?

·
Super Moderator
82,188 Posts
I have not done the warm compress (or bottles) but I do massage it several times per day and try to empty it. Very little is coming out.
The baby nurses from both sides. How do I keep her from nursing the bad side? And isn't her nursing helping to empty that side?
Why is the Lute and Oxitocin bad? The vet prescribed it to make sure she doesn't have uterine infection on top of the mastitis.

The vet said I can't give her Banamine (Flunixin) on the days i give her Resflor Gold.
What else can I try?
I would do a whole tube of today in there, especially if she is that bad.

Do the warm compresses, it may help.

Taping the good side may help, but it will have to be watched and milked as well.
Be sure it is sanitary conditions and does not expose the bad with the good sides.
Although it may of already done that, by the kid nursing both sides. :(

Nursing may help the bad side yes, but it doesn't allow the meds to remain in there, so it can do it's job if the kid is taking it out of there. Must be left in there for 12 hours at least. That may be the reason it is not working.

You can tape the bad side and allow the good open so the kid can nurse, while you treat the bad side.

Lute and Oxytocin is bad if the doe uterus is not open.
when giving it when she is closed, causes major contracting possibly tearing her uterus, not good IMO.
The vet is wrong.
One way to check for uterine infection is to glove up and insert your index finger in her vulva, then do the sniff test. If it stinks, there is infection, if it smells normal, infection is not there at that time.

I agree with the vet in not giving Resflor and banamine at the same time. If you are giving Resflor for possible infection of the uterus I can understand.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The vet did the glove test yesterday and there was no foul smell. Today she had a little discharge (pink mucus) but no foul smell at all. So i am thinking to stop the Lute and the Oxitocin, right?
For the mastitis I am thinking to do Penicilin every 8 hours and Resflor every 72 hours. Also do the Today and tape that teat. Also do warm compresses.
Does that sound right?
Can I do anything else?

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 5:28 PM The Goat Spot - Your Goat Raising & Owning Headquarters <[email protected]> wrote:
The Goat Spot - Your Goat Raising & Owning Headquarters
anawhitfield, toth boer goats replied to a thread you are watching at The Goat Spot - Your Goat Raising & Owning Headquarters.

Mastitis

anawhitfield

What else can I try?
I would do a whole tube of today in there, especially if she is that bad.

Do the warm compresses, it may help.

Taping the good side may help, but it will have to be watched and milked as well.
Be sure it is sanitary conditions and does not expose the bad with the good sides.
Although it may of already done that, by the kid nursing both sides. :(

Nursing may help the bad side yes, but it doesn't allow the meds to remain in there, so it can do it's job if the kid is taking it out of there. Must be left in there for 12 hours at least. That may be the reason it is not working.

You can tape the bad side and allow the good open so the kid can nurse, while you treat the bad side.

Lute and Oxytocin is bad if the doe uterus is not open.
when giving it when she is closed, causes major contracting possibly tearing her uterus, not good IMO.
The vet is wrong.
One way to check for uterine infection is to glove up and insert your index finger in her vulva, then do the sniff test. If it stinks, there is infection, if it smells normal, infection is not there at that time.

I agree with the vet in not giving Resflor and banamine at the same time. If you are giving Resflor for possible infection of the uterus I can understand.
View This Thread Unread Watched Threads
Please do not reply to this email. You must visit The Goat Spot - Your Goat Raising & Owning Headquarters to reply.

This message was sent to you because you opted to watch the thread Mastitis at The Goat Spot - Your Goat Raising & Owning Headquarters with email notification of new replies. You will not receive any further emails about this thread until you have read the new messages.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you may disable emails from this thread or disable all emails.

http://www.thegoatspot.net/

·
Super Moderator
82,188 Posts
Pink discharge is OK especially if it smells OK.
So stopping those two things, yes.

When she reaches 2 weeks after kidding date and there is still no bad smell there, she will be OK thereafter.

Yes, sounds like a good plan.
Also add a few hours after antibiotic injection treatment, probiotics and fortified vit B complex.
This will help stop her rumen from shutting down or getting polio.

I don't know if I would be giving 2 antibiotics?

How is her temp now?

Sometimes stripping the teat helps get the clog out.
I know it has been said not to, it hurts, it does, however, sometimes you have to do whatever it takes to get things to move out of there. Try to be as gentle as you can, never pull(yank) and squeeze the teats hard.

Hope things will work better for you, now that you know what to do. Good luck.

·
8,066 Posts
The reason you need to give the entire tube of "Today" is that the actual medication is a small amount and the carrier is an oil. You can't be sure you are getting all the medication into the udder half if you only give a half tube. Only oil may be getting inserted.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here we are 2.5 weeks since she got mastitis. After all the treatments (listed above), she is improving but very slowly - is this normal?
She lost about 25 lbs but I am helping her with Thiamine, Vitamins and minerals and she is eating & grazing much better but still not back to her normal portions.
Her temp can be in the 101 for a few days, then up to 103. I give her Banamine and Penicilin, or NuFlor and the temp goes back down - is this normal?
The udder is slowly softening and deflating.

Is there anything I need to do, be aware of, change?

·
Registered
29,926 Posts
normal temp range is 101.5-103.5 so 103 is fine, no need for antibiotic or banamine. How does her milk look? any blood, pus, chunks or flakes? If it looks clean, taste it to see if there is a salty taste..if all looks and taste good then she is past the infection and now just needs time to recover. I feed fresh raw garlic to my goats as an immune boost. Vit c is also great for immune boost. you can do both. If she has not had Selenium recently, I would do BoSe shot and an extra vit E gel cap. on a side note: most antibiotics need to be given daily and for 5 days..to do a single shot here and there can create resistance.

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, here we go again. I thought her mastitis was improving but about 10 days ago she had a blow out so (per vet's instructions) I drained and cleaned the udder & the blow-out hole as best as I could, then I injected Today into the teat for 4 consecutive days, I rinsed it with an iodine solution and I sprayed the whole udder to keep the flies away. A week later she had a second blow out about 1" above the old one so I did the same thing.
Now, the old one is closing up slowly and it looks nice and clean but the new one is protruding and it almost looks like a painful abscess or tumor. It doesn't smell, it has no discharge, i can no longer squeeze milk or puss out of it, but it is quite painful. At first I thought it was caked-on dirt but it is attached quite well and is very tender so all I can do is rinse it with iodine solution and spray for flies. That side of the udder is very hard and it has hard lumps. Otherwise, she is very active, attentive to her baby, good appetite, good temp, no other symptoms.

Any idea what this is and what I should do about it?
5-7-19 (1).JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,277 Posts
Goodness. I have never seen mastitis like that. You VERY MUCH need veterinary intervention.

Not sure if is was mentioned, but you can try mixing warm garlic infusion with tea tree and lavender oil and dipping the udder. And feed garlic cloves internally.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts