Mastitis...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Sfgwife, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Ok. Crickie amd i have been in a battle against this. We did. Today. Tomorrow. Peng sub q.... each for ten days. Now biomycin for ten days. I did send in milk for culture and the sensitivity was for a “mycin” so we just finished that TWO days ago. She has been getting probiotics, vit c, she refuses garlic.

this mornin her udder is tender and she is holding milk. No fever with this at all except the first day. Her udder has only been tender the first day and then today. She jas been goating just fine. Today she is feelin crummy a lil bit.

what else does anyone have up their sleeve for us? Vet is suggesting iv antibiotics at the state vet school. I am not sure we can afford that. ;(. And vet... this mornin i was talkin to the wife. I do not care for her simply because she does not like goats.. she is a big horse person. So i kinda also feel like she is sayin vet school just so she does not have deal with me anymore. If that makes sense. It may be what her husband who we love for the goats would do but i dunno.

We have also completely cleaned the barn floor again, power washed walla and loft with outdoor bleach, let that dry 36 hours, sprayed with a strong chlorhex solution, let that dry 24 hours, then put down stall mats on the loft where they lay and sleep. Goats were not allowed in that barn until the mats went down. I clean the mats every day by scraping off berries and then i spray a chlorhex on the mats after that.

Also our herd tests clean for cl, cae and johnes. I know someone is gonna ask. ;).

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    Iluvlilly! likes this.
  2. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I've had good luck with Excenal (prescription med, zero withholding for milk). Along with a full tube 2x day of "Today" each teat after fully milking out 2x a day. Bad cases, 3 X a day for "Today". But the Excenal usually does a good job.

3. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    I did full tubes of the today and tomorrow in each side when i used those. :/. twice a day. The crazy part. With all of this is only the very first day and today has she been hard and tender. I did see a dec of milk for a few days the first time. But other than that no symptoms except for sour smelling milk. That was even gone until this mornin. And as soon as i got a few squirts it was stinky today. No clumpy milk nothing.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    toth boer goats likes this.
  4. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    We are scheduled to go in tomorrow afternoon for an eval and too see what a plan of attack is gonna be. I am nervous and scared. Paul did tell me to have them take care of our girl and he would pay the bill. I love this man! I say it this way because.... he works as an electrician three days a week. That money is his money to do whatever he needs/wants to do with it. The house and livestock bills are paid with “our” dollars and i very rarely ask him to use his for anything for the house and animals. He does use his for farm stuff but it is usually things that he wants to improve round here and his “play” things.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  6. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Oh no, I'm so sorry you're having this problem! Poor Crickey and you!
    I'm Praying everything turns out well, Paul is a gem of a guy to help with the bill! I hope they come up with a good solution for her quickly. Poor baby.
    Isn't your new grandbaby due soon? I'm sure you're going to be wanting to be hugging the new little one instead of treating your sweet goatie...
    Sending positive prayers and thoughts your way!

MadHouse, toth boer goats and Sfgwife like this.
  7. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Crick and i are both SO over this mess! ;(. Yes our chicken little is due for eviction in four weeks! :).

How is the healin goin? Drivin yourself and daughter crazy yet?

8. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Sent this to our dil this mornin. We have to wear masks to take crickie today. Told her i might as well be fun wearin this gawd awful recirculated air contraption. Her reply.... i am surprised it does not have middle fingers all over it. This is the best i got kid. No fabric like that here. Lol! I am sure some will be poppin in the mailbox from her soon enough. Paul has a star wars one.

82F2B65E-FBD1-4F13-AD92-38C4C2B1ED91.jpeg

9. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    You might try feeding her back 30 cc of her milk from the effected side. I do this 2-3 times as long as the milk is not gross with pus or blood.. Goats body detects any bacteria and builds antibodies to help fight against it.

To feed garlic to one who refuses i make a paste of fresh garlic and olive oil. Feed a tablespoon 4 times a day while ill then once or twice a day once well.
    You might also consider contacting Kristie of land of havilah and discuss herbal treatment. When you purchase herbs from her She does not charge for consultation. Herbal treatment does take commitment as its usually given several times a day.
    Best wishes

MadHouse likes this.
  10. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

I did do the milk thing. I tried several different ways with the garlic. I even pb and stuck it in the roof of her mouth and i wore more than she got. That was after she swallowed a few times. She is a super picky eater. The best i can do for vit c is the gummies. She will nom those up like mad with her calcium gummy.

11. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Sounds like you've done most everything, but I second the Naxcel/Excenel suggestion. Exceed is another very good one for mastitis. Exceed is longer lasting and they usually only need two shots.

I've also started using Mastoblast this year and I'm liking what I see. I'm not sure how great it is for an established case of mastitis, but it seems to really help with congested udders. A small bottle is pricey, but since it's only given 1cc at a time, it goes a very long way. Might be worth a try. I just dribble it on the feed and they gobble it right down.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    lada823, MadHouse, GoofyGoat and 5 others like this.
  12. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Yes I forgot to mention MastoBlast. Its good stuff.

One other idea for garlic is blend super smooth..add water or electrolytes and drench. You can buy powder vit c (i get the Now brand) and add to the drench.

13. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Took her in. They did the exam amd ultrasound and milk sample. Gee you have a very well taken care of healthy lookin goat here. Ugh no joke! I coulda pulled a sterile milk sample and brought it to you. It surely woulda cose me less to start with. :/. But. She came home tonight. Now we wait for another milk sample result to see what the plan next will be.

Iluvlilly! and toth boer goats like this.
  14. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    hon i know you love the herbals and garlic. I have tried and tried with her. It just aint happenin. Drenching her stresses her to the gills and it is not worth it to me. She happily noms her vit c gummies twoce a day for me.

Iluvlilly! and happybleats like this.
  15. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

I asked my norm vet before we took her in if we could at least TRY one of these. She was all about crickie needs iv antibiotics.

I will just ask for her hubby to call me from now on until they get a new phone person. Lol. The wife has no place for goat med in herself. Ugh! I did not realize i was talkin to her until later in the convo and am pissed at myself for not tellin her then to have him call me. ;(. I was thinkin of a fight between them disagreein over my goat. It has been a long two weeks here and my brain cell was just not in it except for what is next to get crick better.

I will check out the mastoblast. Thanks!

MadHouse, GoofyGoat and Iluvlilly! like this.
  16. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Gotcha.

Iluvlilly! and Sfgwife like this.
  17. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    if it were a once a week thing like replamin i would do it. But not every day. No way. :/.

this is crick.... one dust partical is in my grain dish this mornin peasant lady. Therefore i cannot will not eat it.

same goat at night in the barn. ... all that is left of this aflalfa pellet is dust peasant. I cannot will not lick it.

every day in the alfalfa hay bucket. Hey peasant lady. Do you think you could take these “sticks” out of this nommy dust on the bottom so i can get to it more better?

see what i am dealin with here? Lol!

18. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
  19. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Have you or @Damfino ever tried dynamint udder cream? As i was lookin for mastoblast i saw that. I do like the ing in it but wonder how well it works. I make my own udder cream using olive oil, coconut oil, sometimes avocado oil, tea tree eo, lav eo, euc eo and a bit of bees wax. This has more good stuff in it than mine does.

MadHouse and Iluvlilly! like this.
  20. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I have not used Dynamint but have seen many do use it and love it. It does have good ingredients.

MadHouse, Iluvlilly! and Sfgwife like this.