Mastitis...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Sfgwife, Jun 16, 2020.

1. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I bought a small bottle (almost sample size) of the dynamint from Jeffers and used it on Luna and I have to say it did help along with the vitamin c gummies and celery sticks I was giving her.

MadHouse, Iluvlilly! and Sfgwife like this.
  2. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I have used Dynamint but I'm not sure whether it actually helps or not. I'll say one thing--it sure makes my hands tingly cold! Some of the girls seem to like it while others get pretty touchy about it. I figure it's one of those "Can't hurt, might help" kinda treatments.

3. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Oh! Thanks for this great desc! I think i should just try the tinny size first then. My hands can be uber sensitive from my eczema. The tingly might translate into burn and hurt for me if it has that much mint and eucalyptus in it. :/. Stoopid eczema!

MadHouse and Iluvlilly! like this.
  4. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    I do like the ing in it. If i were a good human i could plant some marigilds and make myself some calendula oil. Then i could use that in my udder cream. ;).

MadHouse, Iluvlilly! and happybleats like this.
  5. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    You can always wear disposable gloves to apply it. I would not apply it to an udder that was chapped or had abrasions. Also, make sure the udder is dry before you apply it. Water can block the oils, and it can also intensify them. Even if it doesn't help the mastitis, I think it would probably feel good to a doe with an inflamed udder. I've actually used it on myself a few times when I've had muscle spasms in my back or neck that wouldn't go away. It feels like Icy-Hot only it's less messy, it smells better, and I think it lasts longer.

6. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Never thought of using it on me...that's brilliant!
    Since my surgeries I've had tons of spasms..gonna try it tomorrow thanks :)

I second using gloves and avoid the teat oriface too. Come to think of it I tried it on Lily and had to baby wipe it off her because she kept kicking at her udder after I used it...I agree it depends on the goat but a little goes a long way. I still have over half of the little bottle left and I used it daily for a couple weeks on Luna so go with the little bottle to try it out first.

MadHouse, Sfgwife and Iluvlilly! like this.
  7. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Milk cultires os back. Same ecoli based crud. He is looking to see if he has another udder infusion that should work on her. So we will do that for ten days. Wait a week then test again.

he said this is a very resistant bacteria. So keep your fingers crossed for is please!

8. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Oh no Crickie ...shoot... I was hoping it would be something easier to get rid of :(
    Fingers crossed and prayers sent!

MadHouse, Sfgwife and Iluvlilly! like this.
  9. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I hope this next round will take care of it.

MadHouse and Sfgwife like this.
  10. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    It IS only one side now.... so that is better than it was right? ;).

11. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    It's a start!
    I'm Praying the other side clears up quickly! Poor girl :(

Iluvlilly!, MadHouse and Sfgwife like this.
  12. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Yes!

There is a vaccine specifically for this type that i am gonna ask tomorrow about when i go get the meds. Because this particular bug may come back. Ugh! You give it now, in a month, when you dry them off and then again two weeks after they freshen again. You go crickie girl and get one of the most difficult to get rid of why doncha. We cannot do anything by halves here right. Lol!

I am also nervous about only treating one side as well. I do all the right things but i fret over her teats/udder sides just whatever down there hitting each other and inf the other side again. I only treated the clean side first and the second side got it. But. It could have also already peen there and just not showing its ugly face. So.many.scary.variable.things.with.this. ;(.

Iluvlilly! and MadHouse like this.
  13. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Goodness me too me too!

14. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Can you treat both sides? Best of luck getting rid of that persistent bug!

Sfgwife and MadHouse like this.
  15. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    not if he won’t give me enough meds for it. :/.

MadHouse likes this.
  16. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Boy, the vets sure make it hard sometimes!

MadHouse and Sfgwife like this.
  17. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    I do understand the not treating the udder that is not gunky but dang.

MadHouse likes this.
  18. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Keeping my fingers crossed for Crickie!

19. Holmestead backyard farm

Holmestead backyard farm New Member

Apr 22, 2020
    North Georgia
    Where do you get the Mastoblast? Is that hood as a preventative as well as treatment? We’ve battled mastitis with Chazzy. Her 4 month old doelings eat with her though..

20. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I believe it’s on Jeffers pet supply.

I’m sure it would not hurt to give preventively but I’d say your best preventive is garlic and vitamin c.

Iluvlilly! likes this.