The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a never dealt with situation. My goat got mastitis several months ago. I caught it early, treated it, it went away and life was good. We had a cluster of family crisis and I dried my goats off in July. My lead goat came into milk, her kid is almost a year old and she is not bred, and has mastitis again?! In my 8 years of goating I have never dealt with mastitis except for in this one goat who is now 4 years old, and was dried off months ago.
I started her on PennG and have been milking her: One side is a brownish watery color with nasty pimple looking puss, she is producing less on that side but, while definitely smaller, a still hardness in the udder. The other side is great? I got some milk on my finger and tasted it and it is sweet and normal looking. I honestly don’t know what else to do. I have heard conflicting info on the Today and Tomorrow treatments.
Also, she has no more fever, she is eating fine and is her normal bossy self :)

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
I would definitely start Tomorrow asap on the bad side. I would also give MastoBlast which is an oral homeopathic remedy I ordered from Jeffers but often local farm store has it.
When a goat has mastitis when in milk, it's a good idea to do Tomorrow as a prevention once dry. Helps make sure bacteria is killed off before the goat freshens again.
Hormones may have kick started the milk production. Either way..got to treat her now.
Watch for change of color and temperature of udder and teat.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would definitely start Tomorrow asap on the bad side. I would also give MastoBlast which is an oral homeopathic remedy I ordered from Jeffers but often local farm store has it.
When a goat has mastitis when in milk, it's a good idea to do Tomorrow as a prevention once dry. Helps make sure bacteria is killed off before the goat freshens again.
Hormones may have kick started the milk production. Either way..got to treat her now.
Watch for change of color and temperature of udder and teat.
Thanks

Reactions: happybleats

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can also boost her immune system with vitamin c and garlic. Make sure you really clean her teat before milking and after then spray with fight bac so no new bacteria re-enter the orafice.
Thanks! I appreciate the advice :) I am super careful about immune health and sanitation from the moment she gets on the stand: An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts