Matted Doe

Discussion in 'Fuzzy Fibers' started by DebMc, Jan 3, 2010.

1. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I have a Navajo Angora doe that is pretty matted. I didn't get her until October and by then it was too late in the season to have her sheared. I try to brush the mats out to no avail. There are just too many; they need to be shaved off. Her fleece is so thick and shaggy I can't even find her skin to check for infections or irritation or anything. She seems fine, looks healthy (from what I can see), and her fleece is clean - no vegetation - just lots of mats.

Do you think it would be okay to wait until March or April to have her sheared w/the others? Or should I have her sheared now and keep a sweater on her until warmer weather arrives? We live in central AZ so our winters are mild. I'd like to wait until I have the other does done, if I can, so they're all on the same shearing schedule.

I'll try to attach a pic of "Allison" so you can see how matted she is. The mats are everywhere except her chest and front legs. For what it's worth, I brush her a couple times a week to help prevent new mats from forming. Also, I dusted her, along w/the other goats, w/DE for parasite prevention, and trimmed the matts off her butt area. Her fleece will be composted whenever it comes off - that's not an issue.

Deb Mc

Attached Files:

2. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    my friends are both really big angora breeders and i'm a handlerfor them alot. I know you never brush wash or blow an angora in full coat, it messes up the kemp and quality.

3. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    my friends are both really big angora breeders and i'm a handlerfor them alot. I know you never brush wash or blow an angora in full coat, it messes up the kemp and quality.

i think your best bet is to try and keep it from getting any worse, and just to shear in march or february depending on the weather

4. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Would brushing it now and then shearing it affect the hair growth later? She said she was going to compost the fleece once it was off sooo??? :whatgoat:

5. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Yes, I know that. My concern is with the doe. I realize her fleece is obviously compost quality at this point.

Thanks! That's what I was hoping to hear. Just wanted other opinions to make sure I wasn't totally off target.

Deb Mc