The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Rose Creek Acres
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some place I saw what to do about pink eye. I saw triple antibiotic ointment, contact solution or oxytet? Her eyes are draining and they seem to be stuck close like if a person was sick with pink eye. We gave penicillin and washed the off real good. We had the eyes open and put some neosporine in and this morning the are crudded over again. I can get pictures tonight if needed. She eats but slowly and she drinks a little at a time. We don't have a vet around us that has knowledge of goats really. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
Get her eye and face area cleanand dry..I like to use vinegar/water solution..once you can see the eye well...see if it is cloudy, ulcerated ( red bump) or has something in it that needs to be flushed out ..triple antibiotic cream is good to use either way...If the eye is not ulceratd, tylan 200/ LA 200 or penicillian as an eye drop works well...3-4 times a day. IF there is an Ulcer (red bump) Do not use antibiotic drops..use the triple antibiotic cream instead Keep the eye and face clean and dry as possible..keep her out of the sun, since this can be painful to her and cause more irritation..
Take her temp...it should be 101.5-103.5.
offer her electrolytes to encourage drinking...always have fresh water as well..

Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I'm not sure if anyone has tried this but I've noticed an eye gel that vetericyn makes. I know the wound spray is like holy water, haven't tried the eye meds though

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
I use neospordin with success..or the wal-mart brand..

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
Get a temp on the goat

I use LA200 for eye issues. A couple of drops 2x a day, for 4 to 5 days will usually do the trick. But if it does not, see a vet. LA200 covers multiple issues in the eye.

Make sure, there is nothing in the eye, creating the issue first, any ulceration area's look closely in that area, there may be something there or a scratch.

Clean and flush out the eye first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts