Maxinne is sick!(Doing better)

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by RunAround, Oct 29, 2008.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Gosh Maxinne is sick today. I guess she got too cold last night. Temp was 96

Gave her B-complex, power punch, whiskey+molasses mixture, quick-start, probios. I also tried to get her to drink some warm molasses water but she dosen't want it. So I gave her about 100cc SQ fluids. My mom went out and got her two dog coats which I have on her now. Also brought her home even though I shouldn't have goats in the house. She is just sleeping in my lap right now.

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Re: Maxinne is sick!!!!!!

Do you have any hot water bottles? If not you can use ziplock baggies. Put as hot of water in them as the tap will allow, and then put one on each side of her body and then a "coat" or blanket over the top to conserve the heat. Also a blowdryer on low to help bring the temp up.

I hope that she is ok and you are able to get her feeling better soon! :hug:

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I agree with what has been suggested , try offering her some hay or even some warm cooked oatmeal, the hay will keep her warm if she eats it, and the oatmeal may entice her to eat. :hug:

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Tried the oatmeal plain... shoved some in her mouth but she wouldn't eat it. Just spat it out everywhere. All the other goats finished it for me so it wasn't wasted. I did get her to take some warm milk/water from a bottle. She is six months but still remembered it a bit.

I offered every grain in the barn, treats, hay, dengi, straw... she ate some hay.

I've got her warm now, but she is pretty tired.

She has a cough every once and a while now.

Here is a pick of her and my mom. Pretty cute:
    [​IMG]

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Make sure she stays warm and doesn't catch a draft...the bottle is a good thing too, will help get something in her belly and keep her hydrated.

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

I would get her some VIt B12. Also what I have done to help keep them warm. Take a old sock, fill it with rice and pop it in the Microwave.

She is cute as a button.

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

well her temp is up to 102 now. She is sleeping soundly in my lap. Seems to like the TV whenever she wakes up.... wonder if they can see it.

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

She is all warm now... heating me up lol.

She is coughing a bit every once and a while... should I think about putting her on antibiotics? :shrug:

Blah... I feel so bad for leaving the goats now... I was so tired last night I didn't really check them over good. :sigh:

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Only treat with antibiotics if she gets a temp.........

how is her gums ..... and lower eyelid coloring ? Have you dewormed her ?

10. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

well they weren't great when she was cold, which I know is normal. Now they are fine. She has been dewormed recently.

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

sounds good.............did you worm her for tape worms as well...........I don't think Ivermec covers lung worms.....?

12. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

She's been wormed with ivomec plus and safeguard. (Safeguard still works here.)

I know this was caused by the cold since the temps have dropped here and I am pretty sure the adult goats wouldn't let her eat when I was gone.

13. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Temp 103! She is eating some hay now, tried grain and drank water out of the dog bowl!! :leap:

Investigating things and hyper again! LOVES the TV. She watches it like crazy

14. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon

Glad to hear she is doing better! :leap: You did good! :)

15. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Here she is investigating the house:
    [​IMG]

Watching TV:
    [​IMG]

16. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I'm glad she's doing much better....and those pics are so cute!! I wouldn't put her on anything as far as antibiotics go, I'd just watch her and makesure she's not showing sign of a cold in the next few days...she looks very alert and I wonder if you'll be putting a TV in the barn for her? lol.

17. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

No... no TV in the barn. :slapfloor:

Well she is a bit down again... temp is up though... 104. I got her to drink some LifeWater its like gaterade.
    Poop is still normal pellets. I guess she is going to stay the night in the house..... :sigh:

18. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Is she too warm? I mean, you have a heated home, would this be the cause of the rise in temp or is she acting sickly again? If her temp goes up more, it may be a good idea to start an antibiotic. :hug:

19. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

The house is at 70 right now and she only has a diaper on. No coats right now.... acting lethargic again. Not sure what to do. My antibiotics are at the barn. I can get them later. Still pretty tired from the trip and I just want to sleep right now. :GAAH: :help:

I guess I can call my vet and ask for Naxcel.

Edit: and now her temp is back to 103... dunno what she is trying to do to me. She is also headbutting the other goat in the stove now. :slapfloor: It's a very slow headbutt. I got some video of it.

I think she is toying with me!!!

20. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Still hasn't chewed any cud. She is drinking though. I keep offering her this flavored water stuff and she loves it. I forced a bunch of yogurt down her throat and a little slippery elm to calm her tummy.

Isn't peeing much. Only peed once so far. She is pooing normal pebbles though.

Does grind her teeth sometimes, but I am afraid to give banamine. It's also at the barn.