May’s first time pregnant

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by MadHouse, Jan 24, 2020.

1. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

May is a Nigerian Dwarf and will be almost 2 when she is due to kid, around April 20th. I have read on other threads to give monthly Selenium and Vitamin E gel, so I started that. She has a body condition of 4, and is staying on the diet she has been on, alfalfa mix hay, a bit of BOSS and veggie and fruit peels for treats. Once she gets to the last month I plan on giving her some grain.
    Can you see or think of anything else she needs at this point? I am pretty sure she is not copper deficient. I have been studying pictures where you guys say “low on her pasterns”, but I can’t say that I have an eye for that yet.
    Thanks for any advice.
    upload_2020-1-24_13-53-41.jpeg

2. SandyNubians

SandyNubians Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2017
    Idaho
    She is beautiful. Looks very good too. Eyes and nose are clean. I don't see any hair loss or anything, and she doesn't look like she is extremely deficient in anything that I can tell. I don't really have an eye for that either so can't help you on the pasterns

4 weeks before kidding you can give CD&T(if you choose too, I personally do) Otherwise, everything looks pretty good. Of course, watching her for pregnancy-related problems, but especially Pregnancy toxemia. Most problems won't show up until later in pregnancy.

Good luck! She is very pretty. You have some cute kids on the way!

3. FoxRidge

FoxRidge Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    I think she looks healthy, I also give them a CD&T shot a month before they kid so that it carries over. I know not everyone does this, the reason I really believe I need to is because we have had a foal get tetanus just by doing baby stuff #eatingdirt! It was horrific. In a matter of 4-6 days I went from, "OMG my little quarter horse is really bulking up in muscle!!" (It was because at the onset their muscles swell and strain) to calling the vet because suddenly she wasn't bending her knees or any joint for that matter. She survived but honestly we should have had her put down. It was a huge tax on her little body.

Back to goaties. For me with the copper I really watch the coat color and consistency and also their tails for the fish tail. Be sure to be feeding a really good loose mineral formulated for goats!

4. MadHouse

Thanks, both of you!
    I think she is beautiful too!
    I was planning on the CD&T shot anyway. I time it like that for the whole herd.
    They do get a good loose mineral and May licks it every day.
    I will get a picture of her tail soon.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  5. MadHouse

Also, for dipping the kids’ umbilical cords, would Betadine solution be ok? It’s what I have already, I use it for cuts and scrapes. It says “10% povidone-iodine solution” on it.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  7. MadHouse

Thanks! :)

8. MadHouse

She kept her tail tucked. She is modest...;)
    upload_2020-1-24_15-46-59.jpeg

upload_2020-1-24_15-48-27.jpeg

9. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Ohhh shes a cutey! She looks very healthy! So you said April?(embarrassed) really? We have to wait?????.
    :upset:

:waiting:

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    LOL, yeah, she may be cold, and keeping it warm back there. ;)

She is cute. :)

CaramelKittey, GoofyGoat and MadHouse like this.
  11. SandyNubians

Feb 18, 2017
    Idaho
    How is May doing? She is 2/3 of the way there! Just entering the most exciting last weeks when the udder comes in and she is starting to get bigger. So that means we need update pictures!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    CaramelKittey, GoofyGoat and MadHouse like this.
  12. MadHouse

I’ll get on that tomorrow!
    Today I discovered lice on her!!!! So I had to harass her with treatment and brushing!

13. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    The blue Ivermex liquid works great on lice. It's 1cc per 22lbs along the topline. I get mine at Tractor Supply. I'm not sure what they have that's equal in Canada but I'm sure you can find something. Make sure torepeat in 10 days. Really clean the dickens out of their bedding because of eggs and stragglers getting back on them. Lice are such a pain but they're inevetable with goats it seems :(

I second...Pictures soon please :)

14. MadHouse

Thanks for the advice!
    I got the blue ivermectin pour on, different brand, but it’s the same chemical. But for now I treated the girls with VetRx.
    What happened was, the bucks seemed to have mites. I was given BOSS pour on by my sheep farmer friend, which I used on the bucks on Monday. Now with seeing lice I know I have to treat everyone, and at the same time. I have to wait at least until Monday to make it a week for the bucks. Meanwhile I started cleaning out the winter bedding, bucks first.

15. MadHouse

Here are pictures from today.
    She was suntanning.
    She is still modest about her private parts, I had to lift up her tail.
    Her udder is coming in some, but her pants are so furry, you can’t see it! She doesn’t mind me feeling the udder, she actually lifts up her hind leg so I can feel it. But the tail and what’s under it, that’s private!
    upload_2020-2-28_17-35-11.jpeg

upload_2020-2-28_17-36-2.jpeg upload_2020-2-28_17-38-35.jpeg upload_2020-2-28_17-39-7.jpeg

16. SandyNubians

Feb 18, 2017
    Idaho
    Awww, enjoying the sun:inlove: She is looking great!

Oh I love the ones that just let you feel. It makes everything sooo much easier!

17. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    She's so pretty! What a fluffy girl enjoying the sun. I can't wait to see her babies they're going to be adorable!

18. MadHouse

Thanks, I will tell her!
    I won’t tell her her hind end is on the internet though, she’d be soo embarrassed !:hide:

19. MadHouse

Yes, she is a sweet sweet girl! And nice of her to let me touch her udder!
    She soo wants grain. I keep telling her, once she has her kids, she gets to have all the stuff she can’t have right now.

CaramelKittey and SandyNubians like this.
  20. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Awwww shes a cutey! How much longer? Month and 1/2? Got you a cute little udder? Glad she is enjoying the sun. Last pictures were snow covered! You doing ok? Your lady also? Both doing well? Havent seen you on here.

MadHouse likes this.