The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie here, and a relative newbie to dairy goats.

I have three Nubians, one is a full grown milker, and the other two are 3 and 4 month old doelings. We have had the doelings for nearly three months, and the doe for one month. Prior to having them, the only creatures out on our pasture have been wild creatures like rabbits and such. We have had chickens free ranging since about the time we got the doelings. We are in southeast wyoming, so compared to nearly all of the US, we have been dry even for it being a decently wet year for us. The three goats are on a 3+ acre pasture.

Anyway, tonight I was milking Bree, and noticed a white, hairlike worm crawling near her anus. It was about 1/4 inch long. I would guess it was a threadworm based on pictures that came up when I searched for goats and worms online.

The very reason I was examining her back end was to keep an eye out for signs of heat (discharge and such), since we are going to be breeding her as soon as she comes into season (part of our terms for buying her actually, since we need her freshened and the dairy from which we got her wanted to get a doeling from her if she produces one this time).

The only animals I have wormed before are horses. Since she may need worming, and may be bred soon, what wormer would be appropriate?

I don't have the dairy's number off hand, and my husband is out on an elk hunt right now (he has their number), so I can't get ahold of them and ask what they would want us to use. I haven't looked at her eyes yet either, as I only noticed this worm tonight (it was already dark outside when I brought her to the garage to milk her), and didn't get online to look up worms until she was back down in the pasture. She seems perky enough, or should I say stubborn like usual.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I would have a fecal done to determine what I was dealing with. That is the only way you will know for sure you are treating with the appropriate wormer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will look into getting that done. Too bad I didn't think about the supplies to do decals myself when I was near a much larger city last week.

I called the breeder, once i located their number this morning, and left a message so that I can find out how they want to proceed with the worm situation. So far I have only seen that one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fecals, not decals, silly iPad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts