The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there my helpers, my wether and doe are now 14 months old.
Iam bit concerned that I made mistake in getting one of each and not two same sex….because Eddie (wether) has always been bit bossy over Lulu, but I’ve noticed she seems very weary of him more these days, usually when they eat their hay, they have separate hay racks, but he often chases her away, and shows his horns to her. She is so sweet, and I worry that he might hurt her. They do head butt play fight, often sleep together too. There is no biting or teeth bearing, is all this activity normal ?

·
Super Moderator
32,265 Posts
It's normal for one goat to dominate. As long as he's not hurting her should be fine and they will find their seat in the pecking order. If he's a bully, provide a separate pen for night time..where she has her own hay, feed, water and a cozy bed area. If you want to add more goats...another few does can help divide his attention some.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's normal for one goat to dominate. As long as he's not hurting her should be fine and they will find their seat in the pecking order. If he's a bully, provide a separate pen for night time..where she has her own hay, feed, water and a cozy bed area. If you want to add more goats...another few does can help divide his attention some.
Are thank you for advise, I did think of separating their stable as it’s quite big, she has room to get out of his way, but I might try what you said, don’t think I will get anymore does, these two keep me busy for now.
Will he settle down with age, if I separated them, would that upset them too ?
Thank you

·
Registered
146 Posts
It seems like a lot of people are suddenly having trouble with their wethers, maybe because we are getting close to the start of breeding season?
Two of my does (who are sisters) do the same thing - play head butt then cuddle and then fight again, pretty normal goat behavior. They have settled down now that they are older and both in milk. They get upset if the other one isn't around.

·
Super Moderator
32,265 Posts
Yes..he will settle down. If they sleepnik together then they are fine there..just if she needs peace for a while..separate them. Maybe when things cool off weather wise they will be besties again and snuggle to keep warm.

Reactions: Dee4 and MadHouse

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It seems like a lot of people are suddenly having trouble with their wethers, maybe because we are getting close to the start of breeding season?
Two of my does (who are sisters) do the same thing - play head butt then cuddle and then fight again, pretty normal goat behavior. They have settled down now that they are older and both in milk. They get upset if the other one isn't around.
Thank you too, overall with what you all are saying, I think that they are normal behaviour so far, but I will keep a check on her xx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts