Maybe an off the wall question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by DRJ Ranch, Apr 24, 2010.

1. DRJ Ranch

DRJ Ranch New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Anderson, California
    Have any of you guys ever though about being able to perform your own test for CAE, CL, pregnancy and anything else health related.

After going with my friend and seeing the cost of her vet bills it seems like it would be helpful to be able to run the test your self if you could probably could help with all kinds of interesting questions and ideas.

Or maybe I’m just thinking to far out of the book, I know vet schools give them the basics on diagnosing problems with animals but each and every animal could fall into different categories and situations. Sometimes I just get tired of referring to some one else to pay an outrages price for health care on my animals when I live with them 24/7 and know there situations and problems they face daily. That and to find a good goat vet seems like an uphill fight.

just a little venting and thinking out of loud.

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I do blood drawing for CAE, CL, Johnes and Pregnancy twice a year and send it in, it's so much cheaper to do it yourself, and running all those tests and buying all of the machinery would be $$$.

3. DRJ Ranch

DRJ Ranch New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Anderson, California
    I meen drawing the blood and doing the test your self instead of sending it off.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I wouldnt see how we would be able to do our own testing due to the fact that it is an expensive process for even the research labs to set up and do.

5. The problem is with some of these tests not all folks would be honest about it, even if you could do it yourself. Plus there are some pretty heavy years of medical school that is behind much of the knowledge a vet has. Now you can send these tests off to be done but you will pay no matter what. It is a great idea for many things, which most can and do do themselves. However there are just some things that have to be left to a vet. Where would we be without vets? Kind of a scary thought.

6. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    You would have to buy an ELISA testing machine, plus a centrifuge, slides, reagents, testing liquids... do you have a LOAD of money lying around? Otherwise, it's way cheaper to just draw it yourself and send it in to a lab... Good in theory, but super expensive =/

7. DRJ Ranch

DRJ Ranch New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Anderson, California
    I'm not saying it has to be certified that when we do our own testing just that we have done it for ourselves for our piece of mind and you wouldn't need the best equipment in the world to do it, but you would definitely need the knowledge.

If you are a breeder and you take your goats or have the vet visit all the time after awhile it would have payed for you to get the equipment to test and the knowledge to test. I look at it as more of an investment into my investment.

Yes vet have a ton of knowledge but there wasn't always vet's, plus they didn't receive that knowledge without people trying things in the past. To me most vets and even doctors in the long run are just reading through a manual if you have this, this and this wrong with you it could be this as a problem. They are trained to see the signs and follow it with certain procedures.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the vets dont do the testing its testing labs -- so its the lab technicians that have the training and the equipment.

9. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    it all depends on how much the equipment costs. i mean, some testing equipment runs in to the TENS of THOUSANDS of dollars. I'm not sure with the stuff you need for goats how much it would cost but I do know when my vet looked into adding a full lab it was going to be over $100,000 just for the equipment that would allow her to do most stuff in house instead of send it away. It would have taken her decades to recoup her investment and it would have required her to raise her prices a LOT so she didn't do it.

10. DRJ Ranch

DRJ Ranch New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Anderson, California
    Very true but the way the economy is right now I bet there are labs out there that have shut down and equipment sitting in places for a good deal but probaly still expensive and there probaly older equipment out there in places also.

11. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Okay... This is a bargain at 2500 before shipping from the Netherlands... It's a '96 and I'm not sure if it really works... http://www.medwow.com/used-elisa-analyz ... 26889.item

You'd have to go get trained on how to operate the machine and prepare the samples. (harder than it sounds)

Labs do not usually pay cash for their equipment- with the high rate of improvement in these machines, the manufacturers will often lease, upgrade, and recycle. When they go out of business, the manufacturer just takes back their stuff.

12. Yes, I have worked in labs and there are several machines that do different things for different tests. And though vets and doctors do not do the testing they read and calculate the results for proper treatment. As for the text book thing, read all the books on goats and then let me know if you have any questions. My point is exsperience is the key to most good Dr's and vets and the number of interning hours and so on before becoming good. Just like most of the folks with good knowledge in breeds etc are from years of exsperience or from being brought up in those years of knowledge around them. But all good breeders no matter the years know when a vet is needed and what they can and can not do. Ask OCR, one of the longest most knowledgeable people with one of the largest, if not the largest, meet heards in the US, and she built a clinic right on her farm.

13. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    In answer to the original question of would I do it? Probably not. I would be looking at everything suspiciously and drive my self crazy checking this and that. I wouldn't see my goats as my babies but rather as specimens that needed poking and prodding.

14. deJardine

deJardine New Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Personally, I would rather have a lab which is accredited to provide proof of status vs. a home based test. It would seem the results would be more trust worthy?