Maybe cleft Palette?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by thebyrdsx5, Mar 9, 2009.

1. thebyrdsx5

thebyrdsx5 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Has anyone heard of a cleft palette ina baby goat? My doeling was born on Thurs. I was out of town till late last night and came home w/the flu, so hubby and daughter have been caring for the babies. They said they thought she had some mucus and stuff in her lungs and throat, she does sound like it. But I just had a funny instinct like something else was wrong. She doesn't suck well, the end of her tongue doesn't latch the bottle, so I felt the top of her mouth and there is a solid ridge in the middle but on each side of the ride there seems to be open slits. It's different then the other babies. I looked in there the best I could, it looks different. Have you ever seen this?

Next, she seems to have aspirated some milk. She's been on penicillan since Friday. Earlier today I called the vet (before I noticed what I think is cleft palatte) and asked about sucking her out w/a tube but she said they didn't do that? idk She seems to be having a little difficulty breathing but now maybe I'm paranoid. Her temp is 101.8
    Any help,
    Thanks, Lori

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

3. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Oh how sad- it does sound like cleft palatte according to the article Toth posted
    :(

4. thebyrdsx5

thebyrdsx5 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    and I don't know if this is relevant or not but her tongue turns blue when i feed her. Is there anyway to get the stuff out of her lungs? I just want to save her, she's one of my first lamancha babies :sigh: I asked my best goat friend about it and she's never had anything like it why do I get all this crazy stuff.

Thanks for the article I have been googling like crazy trying to find something anything to help. i know they've fixed cleft palettes in puppies, found lots of articles on that. Anyway, I named her Hope, corny I know, but it fits.
    Lori

5. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Been there done that with a baby of mine years ago and we put him down at 2 days old. The outcome for a goat with a cleft pallet is not good. Cud and everything else will get into the sinus and into the lungs and they will battle with pneumonia alot. I hate it when this kind of thing happens but it can and does happen. The kid is likly taking milk into the lungs and aspiration pneumonia will set in soon. I feel for you :hug: I cried so hard when we had to put down our little buckling with a cleft pallet but I know that it saved him alot of suffering.

6. thebyrdsx5

thebyrdsx5 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    I need to take her to the vet to have it confirmed. :tears: :( i don't know if I could do it, have her put down. . . :tears:

7. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

If it is cleft palate, thats really the only humane thing to do from what I've read. It sounds like its already giving her problems. :(

8. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    So sad. I believe the humane thing is to euthanize in a situation like this. The cost involved in caring for this little goatie is prohibitive and will probably be unsucessful in the long run, and you wouldn't want to breed her anyway. I wouldn't breed the same buck again. :sigh:

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I do agree with you....take her to the vet to make sure first... before you decide..... :hug:

10. thebyrdsx5

thebyrdsx5 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    I'm taking her in later today. She's doing really well today so it just makes it harder. I'm hoping for good news. It's really hard to see inside that tiny mouth.
    Lori

Thanks for your support everyone. We moved and I was out of goats for awhile, it's good to be back.

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I will pray that things go well for you..... :pray: :hug:

12. thebyrdsx5

thebyrdsx5 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    So, My baby has a bilateral cleft palette. It's different though the way it's formed. You can't tell at all by the lips, it's actually open more toward the back. My vet actually didn't recommend to put her down at this point. She said there are no signs of pneumonia, she is very active and it might actually be something she can adapt to and overcome so for now she said don't make any decisions. I'm going to love her up and just take good care of her until a decision needs to be made.
    Lori

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that is good news....I am happy ...she has a better chance..... :hug: :pray:

14. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Yah! Hope she pulls through! :hug: