The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a year and a half old boer buck that has been sick for several months now. It started with diarrhea and sever weight loss. Took a fecal to the vet and he was infested with worms. We wormed him with Quest and then tried a power pack type thing with safegaurd horse wormer along with several other things. I have given probiotics and red cell bc he is very anemic. I have also given him several things to stop the diarrhea and nothing has 100 percent worked. We have tried vitamin b shots as well. Took another fecal to the vet and none of the things we tried did anything. So we did a 5 day dose of goat safeguard and then gave him Prohibit the levasole wormer. He still eats drinks and walks around to graze but still has diarrhea and looks like a walking skeleton. How he is still alive is beyond me. Can anyone suggest anything else? I am willing to hear all ideas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it did test for coccidia and no we have not. It may be wrong of us to assume but considering nothing has gotten better we did not think it was going to be any different

·
Super Moderator
58,901 Posts
What exactly was your dosage on the dewormers that you used?

Safeguard should be dosed at 1cc per 10 lbs for liquid and 3 times the horse dose for paste.

I believe Quest is 3 times the horse dosage but not positive on that one.

Have you used any of the injectables like Ivomec? Have you tried Valbazen?

Ivomec is 1cc per 40 lbs SQ injected or 1cc per 20-25 lbs orally. Valbazen is 1cc per 10 lbs.

Did the fecal show any coccidia? What you have wormed with so far does nothing for coccidia.

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
I'm going to add that I use Safeguard horse paste at 5 times the horse dosage 3 to 5 days in a row.
I use quest at 1cc per 100lbs.

Has he been treated for Liver Fluke? Valbazen and Ivomec Plus are the only things that get them.
Has he been tested for Giardia?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went back and checked and I wormed him correctly with everything. I have not tried for liver flukes but I will give it a shot!

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
I agree with Goathiker...Valbazen is 1 cc per 10# oral. and Ivomec PLUS is 1 cc per 40# sub Q..I would do the 3 tmes 10 days apart program then once again in 30 days..I might choose Valbazen since it also treats Giardia...
for his anemia

Red cell 6 cc per 100# daily for a week, then once a week until color returns along with Vit. B 12 or B Complex PLUS which has enough B 12 in it...Green leaves, hay and alfalfa, no feed until he poops berried
mix up some 50/50 Apple Cider Vinegar/water..give him 20 cc oral daily
Keep him hydrated!! this is very important..

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts