Maybe this is how/why saca's kids died . . ..

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by Sonrise Farm, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    ~sweet gum minis said that. . . .

and I just realized, Saca's kids' cords were short when i found them, and they had just come out.

Do you think maybe this is why they died?
  2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    there is always that chance.

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    That is a chance but please don't beat yourself over this. It was a nature thing. If they were meant to be alive hun they would be. You have more on the way so that is what you need to focus on. It is really hard to find the babies dead but that was gods will. :hug:
  4. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Very possible. I have a friend who also had that happen to some of her kids in a litter.

I was present at Faith's birth and she had no trouble what so ever delivering the kids. The first was Revelation, healthy and great. Second born was another spotted red/white buckling just like Rev but stillborn. Third was Hallelujah and fourth was a huge red/white spotted buckling. There was no problems with Rev or Hallelujah, but the other two boys were gone when they came out.
  5. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
  6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Very well could have been. Don't worry to much about it. :hug: We may never know the reason those things happen, but I know, with breeding goats EVERYONE will eventually come across death of kids sometime.
  7. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
  8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Yeah, these things just happen and most of the time we don't know why. Dawn's first kid was stillborn. I was there for the birth, did cpr and everything, but he never showed any signs of life. The rest of the kids were fine. So who knows. :shrug:

:hug: :hug:
  9. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    With our controlled management I think we goat keepers often forget that losses in nature would be far greater. Not all kids are strong enough to make it and often these stillborns or kids who die young are actually safeguards to a healthy, strong and limited population.
  10. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    I notice in the photo of the second kid that there is blood on the towel where the navel would be. Perhaps the cords broke off too short or the doe chewed them off and the kids bled out. I had that happen last year. One of my does had a single and I found her after she was born. She looked dead, but gave a soft maa when I picked her up. I noticed blood dripping from her navel. I tied it off, warmed her in a sink of warm water and tubed her, but she just wouldn't stay warm and come around. She died that night. I'm pretty sure she'd lost too much blood by the time I found her.
  11. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Are you referring to Faith's boys? That's not the case. I was there when they were born and they came out dead. I never even put them in front of her. Neither bled out either.