The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1 1/2 Year old Nigerian Dwarf doe that was supposed to be 4 1/2 months pregnant. That was two weeks ago. Her udder has not started to show at all, but I have read that some does are just like that--What do you think? She is just the tiniest bit chunky, but is still not quite as round as my other non-preg. doe (who is a little piggy:). However, she is also a smaller goat. Sometimes it looks like that under her hip bone on her right side is sunken in--a sign? She is skittish of me as well, so I can't really inspect well, either. Any ideas on fixing that? How long until I know for sure whether or not she is pregnant--Hoping she is...

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I'm no expert but I know the udder doesn't always form around that time. It can form a month or a day before kiddding. It all depends on the doe. If you want people to judge if she's pregnant or not you should maybe try posting some pics of her for people to look at. There's a lot of really knowledgeable breeders on here. :) And you can try getting her to come over with some treats like raisins.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Her udder has not started to show at all, but I have read that some does are just like that--
Although I have had does that do not strut until shortly before/at kidding, I've never had a doe who failed to show any udder development at all until kidding. A picture would be very helpful but, based on what you've stated, I would say she is either not bred or she is very short bred.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I agree. We need a backside picture.
I know I have had does wait to fill but there should be something.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And you can try getting her to come over with some treats like raisins.
I have brought a few raisins out to the pasture as well as other varieties of treats, but have yet to get her to take them from me.

One thing that I forgot to mention is that her breeder said that the last time she was bred, she only had a single--is this a credible possibility?

·
2,203 Posts
It's very common for a FF to kid single. :)

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
One thing that I forgot to mention is that her breeder said that the last time she was bred, she only had a single--is this a credible possibility?
Yes. Some does consistently have singles regardless of their plane of nutrition. It is not common, but it does happen. I've only had 2 in 5 years. Everyone else was delivering twins and triplets, but these 2 only had singles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts