McCarthy Farms Waiting Room...finally!

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by McCarthyFarms, Aug 16, 2020.

1. McCarthyFarms

McCarthyFarms Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Australia
    Okay, might be getting just a little ahead of myself, and I haven't posted here in forever - but we FINALLY have a positive ultrasound result! YAY!

My girls Pamela and Lacey have been in with our buck since March. They are Nubian mixes, and he is a Nigerian Dwarf, so though I witnessed them mating quite a few times, they would always come back into heat. After about the 3rd cycle, I put them on leashes, led the girls to a ditch and held them there head down until Darrell did his thing...lol.

Lo and behold...3 weeks came and went...no heat cycle! I couldn't be content with just waiting, so had the vet out to ultrasound. He couldn't find a definite pregnancy with Lacey, but Pamela is definitely in kid! Hoorayyyy!

Pamela is due 17th November...hey, I said I was getting ahead of myself. It's a long wait lol!

Lacey, if she is actually in kid, is due 22nd November. So a wait and see game with her.

I have 2 new does arriving on the weekend, that will be bred in November for April kids. SO excited - this is my first year kidding so I am all kinds of excited/nervous. But I will for sure be glad to get back to milking Pam!

SandyNubians, GoofyGoat and MadHouse like this.
  2. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Congratulations. Please send us pictures of Pamela and Lacey

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.

3. Goataddict

Goataddict Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    Congrats can't wait.

Wishing you a text book easy kidding and also pictures as well please

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Congrats, love the name Pam/Pamela. ;)

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

6. McCarthyFarms

Apr 23, 2020
    Australia
    It's been a while since I've posted here! We have been crazy busy. We are now 23 days from Pamela's due date and she is sure looking it lol! Her udder filled about a month ago, her belly is HUGE and she's got the pregnant waddle going on for sure. I am SO excited for her to kid!
    Lacey is still a question mark. She'd only be due one week after Pam, and she doesn't look the slightest bit pregnant. She hasn't come back into heat, so I'm holding a little bit of hope, but she's keeping me guessing! If she doesn't kid by the end of November I think I'l have the vet do some hormone checks on her.

We also added 2 new Anglo Nubian does to the herd about 2 months ago. Aroma is the mottled doe and Fragrance is her daughter. They came from a dairy stud further North that had to downsize their herd due to the drought. I will be breeding Aroma to Darrell our 75% Nigerian Dwarf buck next month (here in Australia NDs are still a relatively new breed, with lines still being imported from the US. So we are still at the point of grading them and high % NDs are expensive and hard to find around here!)

I did also buy another buck...hehe oops. Robin is another 75% ND buckling, and we pick him up next weekend. He will be bred to Fragrance when he's a little older, and put over any does that Darrell produces. The hope is to increase our ND percentage, but also work towards creating Mini Nubians so we can easily sell kids as pets, or if we incorporate them into the milking program, my young (not yet 2yo) daughter can be involved. The big does with their big horns are just a bit intimidating for her LOL.

These photos were Pam at day 109. She is much bigger already now! Cannot wait for her kid(s) !
    120718721_10224318295203568_6057376335809596624_n.jpg 120593776_10224318294803558_3554289947233982919_n.jpg 120596371_10224318294443549_8220193537279675284_n.jpg

This is my daughter paying with Darrell, our buck. He has the best nature and is so goofy and playful. I hope his kids are just like him!
    120188034_127332545775769_5585683964774569325_n.jpg
    This is the beautiful Aroma. She is such a gorgeous girl and a sweet nature too. Pam and Lacey don't often let her come near me, but I'm about to split them all up and will be able to love on her way more soon.
    119587387_119459863229704_1301486100502568977_o.jpg
    This is Aroma's daughter Fragrance. We'll breed her next year to our new boy, Robin!
    121715738_10224445067012784_1911935528484308095_n.jpg
    And this is our gorgeous new buckling, Tippy Toes Robin. I can't wait to get him home and love on him! He's apparently very bucky already, but he won't be in with any girls until we're good and ready. He was born in August and although he's the same percentage as Darrell, I feel he is a much better quality buck and I'm excited to see what he brings to my little herd. I've been following his breeders for a while and fell in love with him the moment they posted his picture at 1 day old. They only kept one male kid entire from this breeding, the rest were wethered but Robin was a standout as a potential breeding buck. They have a new buck for next season so for the next little while I'll be the only one breeding from his sire line which is good for me - he's the only buck kid from his sire at the moment!
    119226973_917569832063358_5366088284894904622_o.jpg

7. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Very preggo doe..hopeing all goes well with her kidding. All the rest look really nice. The little buckling looks really nice.

MadHouse likes this.
  8. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Good luck with Pam’s kidding!
    I love your new pretty does! And your buck on the teeter totter with your little girl is so so cute! :inlove:
    And your new buckling is gorgeous!

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. Goataddict

Goataddict Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    Happy kidding

MadHouse likes this.
  11. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    So exciting! You have beautiful does and your little men are quite dashing. Best of luck and can’t wait for the baby pics :)

McCarthyFarms and MadHouse like this.
  12. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Bring on those cute baby pictures! I wish you luck and hope everything goes smoothly. Your goats have adorable names, I especially love Aroma and Fragrance. Do you think you'll keep up the smell related names for their offspring? I'm thinking P.U. might be good initials for a buck. :lolgoat::nod:

13. McCarthyFarms

Apr 23, 2020
    Australia
    Haha, I am hoping to keep a theme! Not too sure yet what it'll be. I was thinking perfume names for those girls - though I do want to try and name each kid with the first letter of their dam's name. Aromas dam (so Fragrance's granddam)'s name was Essence, so the "smell" theme may work. When I first got the girls, I wasn't sure if I would call them by their registered names. "Pong" and "Stinky" were suggested, but they just don't quite fit my ladies ;) haha!

14. McCarthyFarms

Apr 23, 2020
    Australia
    Poor Pamela. I'm imagining her giving that kid(s) a stern talking to. Day 137! Pam day 137.jpg

15. McCarthyFarms

Apr 23, 2020
    Australia
    Day 140 today! Her back end is definitely getting softer/looser. And I'd forgotten how enormous her udder is when she's in milk! That poor girl. When we first got her (November 2019) she was in milk and engorged (mastitis one side) and our minds boggled seeing how full she was. She is our first ever milking doe, and on a good day we were getting just under 5L from her. Average daily about 3L.
    Still 10 days to go but I am checking her several times a day. I'm just too excited haha! I really don't want to miss this birth as it will be our first ever kids born here. We've bottle raised a few but always bought them.

She is due on my day off, so it would be wonderful if she actually kidded on her due date, LOL Pam day 139.jpg Pam hips day 140.jpg Pam rear day 140.jpg Pam teat day 140.jpg Pam udder day 140.jpg Pamela day 140.jpg

Moers kiko boars and GoofyGoat like this.
  16. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Wow, that is a big udder!
    I hope all goes well! Enjoy the ride!

17. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Happy kidding! First homegrown kids are always extra special, enjoy every moment :)

18. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Be sure and have your camera ready! Best of luck to you for your kidding!