McCarthy Farms Waiting Room...finally!

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by McCarthyFarms, Aug 16, 2020.

1. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  2. McCarthyFarms

McCarthyFarms Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Australia
    Haha - the poor girl nearly drags on the ground! Thank you. I am very excited/nervous lol!

Thank you! We are definitely very excited for these babies!

For sure! I'm out taking photos of her so often she's probably sick of my phone in her face...and the other end LOL

3. McCarthyFarms

Apr 23, 2020
    Australia
    Day 141 for Pamela today. She's noticeably softer around her ligaments, and she's miserable today the poor girl. It is raining though, and we all know how goats feel about the rain :heehee:
    She's usually the first to come to me for loving and will snuggle right in, rubbing her head and neck all over anyone who will stay still for her. She wouldn't have a bar of me today so either she's just getting sick of me fussing over her so much, or she's starting to get pretty uncomfortable lol.

Lacey her daughter (3yo) is a hopeful first freshener but we have been confused about her from the start. She bred so many times - and not always when she was "due" to cycle. I had to leash breed both her and Pam as Darrell our buck is significantly shorter - I gave him 2 full heat cycles to get them both bred but they both came back in. When I leash bred them, neither came back into heat and we also had them ultrasounded.
    The vet couldn't identify any kids for Lacey, but she also never came back into heat this whole time. She's developed a little udder, and she has also begun to look more "dropped" but she doesn't look visibly pregnant as far as size goes. She would be day 137/138 today (bred 2 days in a row) and I have her due date (with a question mark!) as November 22. Very much a wait and see for her, but I really have my doubts.

Has anyone ever had a doe look as unpregnant as Lacey and still deliver a healthy full term kid?

This is Lacey (on the right) compared to Pamela. Only 5 days between their pregnancies (if Lacey is indeed pregnant, which I doubt)
    lacey and pam.jpg
    She is looking more sunken around her hips/flanks, but she has also just been drenched and was lacking a bit of condition due to worms. Pam in the background looking sick of pregnancy in general lol
    Lacey day 135.jpg
    She has developed a little udder though. When we got them last November she had precocious udder. One teat was very enlarged and producing milk, the other side totally empty. It went away on its own. You can still see in this recent photo though that one teat is a little larger (right). Her lady bits are also a little more swollen than usual but nowhere near what Pam's look like.
    lacey udder day 135.jpg

Any thoughts?:shrug:

4. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I've heard that goats can be very good at hiding pregnancy. Maybe she's just got one little one tucked away in there. :2c:

SandyNubians and MadHouse like this.
  5. McCarthyFarms

Apr 23, 2020
    Australia
    I keep on telling myself that, because I SO hope she is pregnant! Fingers crossed for one little baby at least, haha! I still have my doubts but I'm really hoping!

6. MellonFriend

Have you thought about doing a blood test? I don't know how it is in Australia, but they are pretty inexpensive in the US.

7. McCarthyFarms

Apr 23, 2020
    Australia
    We had her ultrasounded at 40 days but my vet is an equine vet and wasn’t confident with goats. The first time he actually gave up and said he’d go back and do some studying and come back to try again. I still had to tell him rumen was on the left and baby was on the right, lol! Lacey is due only 5 days after Pamela so by this point I quite honestly can’t be bothered testing her unless she goes way over her due date. I can be patient for another couple of weeks lol. The ultrasound was inconclusive as the vet said he couldn’t see anything but that didn’t necessarily mean she was empty.

8. McCarthyFarms

Apr 23, 2020
    Australia
    Day 142 for Pamela...she's very squishy around her tail but doesn't want to stay still long enough for me to have a good check. Everything else is about the same...still eating and bossing everyone around lol!

I set up her kidding stall today with horse sawdust pellets on the base and a bale of the softest most fluffy amazing straw I have ever come across in my life. I want to move into that stall! Haha it is seriously the most beautiful straw I've ever seen. She better appreciate it! I'm going to start bringing her in at night and giving her a little feed so she gets used to being in there, and then keep her in full time once her ligaments go.

I've had a couple of my friends guess so far - both say twins, and both say one of each.

I'm so hoping she has twins and not one massive single, Lol! I pray for both girls but I think I will have 2 bucklings.

Attached Files:

Feira426, GoofyGoat, MadHouse and 3 others like this.
  9. MellonFriend

That straw does look beautiful. Most of the stuff we can get is thick, flattened, bent stuff. Not what you'd call fluffy!

For varieties sake I'm guessing she's got three in there. :D Two boys, one girl. :kid2::kid2::kid3:

10. McCarthyFarms

Apr 23, 2020
    Australia
    Usually that's what we get here too! I couldn't believe how nice this stuff was. I wanted to get more bales and line my bedroom with them :heehee:

Oh my...triplets :omg: My brain hadn't even gone there. Her old owner briefly told us she usually has twins, when we got her she had a single at foot. I think this will be either her third freshening or fourth. My brain might explode if there's any more than two, LOL

11. MellonFriend

Oh I get yah! Somebody mentioned to me "what if both your does have quints!". Yep. I'm sure I would explode if that happened. :ahh: There was a goat breeder that I visited once who raises Nigerians and she had a doe that had five! Talk about goat math!:dazed:

12. McCarthyFarms

Apr 23, 2020
    Australia
    Haha! My husband this morning was trying to get our daughter to say all the goat's names (she's 21 months old). I said "Ooh a good test for you - we only have 9, do you know all their names?" Ha laughed and named them all (except Robin but I'll give him that since we only got him a week ago LOL).

Then I said, "Well, we have 9 right now. Once Pam has her babies we'll have...who knows!"
    I can't imagine going from 9 to 13 or 14! Pleeeease twins Pam!

13. McCarthyFarms

Apr 23, 2020
    Australia
    Well we are adding another lady to the waiting list...me! :omg:
    I just found out that I am expecting number 2. Holy Moly!

14. MellonFriend

15. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Congratulations! What happy news :)

As for your doe, I’m guessing twin doelings and for you a little man ;)

Either way I wish for healthy and strong for both of you.

I think your second doe has a single hidden in there...fingers crossed for you

16. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Congratulations. So how many days?

17. McCarthyFarms

Apr 23, 2020
    Australia
    Thank you!!

Thank you! I'm pretty excited after taking 6 tests over the last 2 weeks and all were negative. There was one left in the box and I was so sure, but had low hopes. Took it today and sure enough was a big ol positive!

I sure hope Pam gives me girls! As for me...I'm not sure yet. I still haven't quite wrapped my head around it yet. I was so strongly sure of a girl with my first and I was right...so we'll see LOL!

I hope you're right! She's a tricky one and cycled very strangely too so if she doesn't have anything by the end of the month I'll be doing some hormone testing etc to find out what's going on.

Thank you!! A LOT of days left for me LOL! Roughly due July 2021. Very early on right now. I haven't even told my husband yet LOL. I have a great announcement planned for him...which involves waiting for some goat kids to be on the ground.

7 days until DD for Pamela and 12 days for Lacey if she's pregnant!

18. Feira426

Feira426 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    I’m super intrigued to find out what kind of pregnancy announcement you’re planning that involves goat kids!

Best of luck with your kidding and your pregnancy!!

19. McCarthyFarms

Apr 23, 2020
    Australia
    Thank you! It involves some planning but hopefully I can pull it off - will post photos here of course!

20. McCarthyFarms

Apr 23, 2020
    Australia
    Day 143 today...1 week from due date!
    I popped Pam in the kidding stall for tonight just to start getting her used to being in there. Will put her back out with the others in the morning if all seems well. She's quite content - I thought she may get a little stressed considering she's not used to being penned up, but she's enjoying having a second feed and a nice cozy bed without having to share ;)

I don't think we're close yet...her ligaments are much softer but definitely still there. No discharge at all and she seems pretty comfy. Her udder did look much tighter tonight, a couple hours after these photos were taken, but this is my first kidding so I don't know exactly what to watch for!
    I went in to check on her just after dinner and she had settled down. She got up when I checked her ligaments and pooped, then moved a few steps away and pooped again. About a minute later she pooped again and then did a lip curl. Not sure if extra poops can be a sign of oncoming labour :heehee:

I'll check her again just before bed by just watching her through the stall for a while, but I definitely don't think we'll have any action for at least a few days. I'm stuck in a weird battle between "hurry up and kid!" and "don't have them early!" LOL

I think this is her telling me to leave her alone LOL
    pam 143.jpg
    Enjoying dinner which she doesn't usually get - but a little bit of her usual feed to make the stall seem a bit more inviting. Look at that tummy!! :omg:
    Pam day 143.jpg Pamela 143.jpg Pamela day 143.jpg