McCarthy Farms Waiting Room...finally!

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by McCarthyFarms, Aug 16, 2020.

1. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Glad to hear all the good news!
    I can totally understand taking pictures non stop!
    How is Lacey’s udder?

2. McCarthyFarms

McCarthyFarms Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Australia
    It's...about the same. I don't know if it's actually filled anymore or if I'm just wishing it has LOL. Looking back on old photos of before she was bred, it's hard to say if there's a difference or not. I thought for sure she had developed more of an udder but when I looked back on pictures I'm not so sure. She has no noticeable "baby bump," her back end isn't getting any softer. I think her vulva area may be a little more swollen than normal but again, not sure if I'm just imagining it into being!

3. McCarthyFarms

Apr 23, 2020
    Australia
    So this feels like a bit of a silly question, but since this is my first time with newborn kids i’m not sure! All three of the triplets have pasty yellow poop allllll over their backsides. I’m assuming usually mama would clean it up and i’m happy to do that - but is the yellow soft poop normal for them? I know it’s normal for human babies LOL. Just want to make sure they’re all okay! Will clean them all up but should i be doing anything for them? They’re all eating off mum, jumping around like crazy and seem happy and healthy. They’re just half yellow LOL

4. KST Goat Farm

KST Goat Farm Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2019
    NE Colorado
    That sounds normal. All my babies have it.

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  5. McCarthyFarms

Apr 23, 2020
    Australia
    Finally was able to announce my pregnancy to my husband today! Was glad the goats could be a part of it! He is very excited - took him a minute to catch on but when he did he was so happy!

IMG_9620.jpg

6. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

7. MadHouse

Beautiful wayof announcing the happy news! That is a gorgeous picture! :inlove:

8. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Awww! You can see the joy you all have, what a great photo!

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Love the idea! Love the Picture...thanks for shareing with us!

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.
  11. McCarthyFarms

Apr 23, 2020
    Australia
    Thanks guys! We are very excited and it's such a relief to not be holding that secret in anymore LOL!!

On the goat side of things, Pam's triplets are doing awesome. They were all disbudded this morning and seem to be doing great. My first time witnessing disbudding in person and the breeder that came to show/help me insisted I do one kid to practice. So little Pedro was my test subject and I think it went okay! Definitely my least favourite part of the whole thing.

Lacey seems to be acting a little odd today. I've been keeping an eye on her through the day and she doesn't seem soft around her tail or anything, and nothing I can exactly put my finger on, but she's just not quite herself. Not sure if I'm just willing labour signs onto her at this point LOL.
    It's about 4pm here right now and we have severe storm warnings and it's raining and thundering a bit right now. She's isolated herself in one of the shelters in the paddock and is ramming the sides of it if anyone else comes near. Thankfully, there's enough shelters out there for everyone to stay nice and dry even if she hogs that whole pen to herself! Not quite the ideal spot to kid, but not the end of the world. I know with my horses they tend to foal in the middle of big storms - I wonder if goats are the same?

If she is pregnant, she'd be due in 5 days. It really could go either way, she sure has me guessing! I'm leaning toward no, but every now and then she gives me a couple of indications that she could be. Who knows!

12. Feira426

Feira426 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    How exciting! Crazy how some goats can hide a pregnancy so well that we can’t tell at all. Does she let you touch her much? That was the only way I could tell with my Alpine mix. She never showed any signs for a very long time, and I honestly thought that she hadn’t been bred... until she was near the end of her gestation and I happened to touch her at the right time and felt a baby moving!

13. McCarthyFarms

Apr 23, 2020
    Australia
    She doesn't let me touch her in right place LOL. Head and neck is okay for scratches, but belly rubs are a no-no. I know she was bred because I leash bred her and noted the date, she never came back into heat but she is not looking pregnant at ALL. She has a decent sized udder, but last year had a precocious udder and I'm trying to convince myself that this time around it's grown in size, but I think I'm just imagining it into existence LOL

14. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

:nod: :up: That's been known to happen.

15. McCarthyFarms

Apr 23, 2020
    Australia
    Well, nothing from Lacey overnight. Still not really any physical differences in her. I think I actually am imagining it LOL. She'd be day 146 today. She won't really let me touch her to check ligaments and she's still acting a little weird, but nothing pointing toward labour. Maybe she's just a weird goat haha. Still hoping there's one little single kid hiding in there, but I'm doubting it.

lacey 146 days.jpg lacey 146.jpg lacey day 146.jpg LAcey day146.jpg

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  16. McCarthyFarms

Apr 23, 2020
    Australia
    In saying that though, these are photos of Lacey's udder about 10 days apart. I'm sure her udder is filling, but she did have a precocious udder last year. Are they more likely to develop precocious udder in recurring years? That is the ONLY sign she's giving that she may potentially be in kid after all. She's really got me stumped.

Photos uploaded in the wrong order, so top one is today (day 146) and bottom one is day 135. lacey day 146.jpg lacey udder day 135.jpg

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  17. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Well that udder has definatley.changed in 10 days. She is hiding that wee one really well. I cant tell by looking at her. Good luck. Lets hope she is.preggo

Feira426, McCarthyFarms and MadHouse like this.
  18. MadHouse

I don’t know anything about precocious udders, but looking at the udder I would assume she is pregnant. :waiting::ahh:
    Seems as if Lacey is really versed in the doe code (have you read the doe’s code to kidding yet, @McCarthyFarms ?)
    :bookgoat:

Feira426 and McCarthyFarms like this.