The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Meadows, my oldest nanny, had a bout with barberpole about 8 weeks ago. She was treated with Valbazen and Cydectin on the now, 10 day and 10 day fecal to see if she needed another dose. She didn’t need the 3rd dose according to fecal but was very anemic and a famacha score of 5. I started with a thiamine shot and then 4 days of vitamin b complex at 6ml, then red cell at 10 ml daily for 7 days, then once a week until I saw a little pick, which was about 3 weeks out. This past Saturday I notice some heavy clumping in the pens where I let them (herd) hang out at night. After a day or two of trying to figure out who was doing the clumping, it was her. I did a fecal on a fresh clump and it was the consistency of a small calf in size and shape. When I collected a fresh part of one of these clumps, it had a very distinct odor of just what it was. When I processed it for the fecal, the mixture was so dark that I had trouble seeing the parasites in the McMaster slide. I did see about 17-18 stomach worms, BP, whip and other. I have never had a fecal this dark before. I am going to give her in the morning, Valbazen @ 10ml and Cydectin @ 23ml (weight 110-120lbs) using 2 different drench guns) unless any of you think differently. We have had some rain off and on and I have cut back on the hay so they all will eat the pasture browse. Her famacha score at present is about a 4. Ideas of what you all would do will be appreciated. I have always had a problem getting her famacha score below a 3. Thanks

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you doing anything to boost her immune system? Garlic? Vitamin C? Might want to try the dried orange peels.
I had her on one week of “Immune oils then once a week on that for 2 weeks, also fed garlic cloves, 4-5 cloves at a time during this time for several days. I had forgotten that until you ask.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had her on one week of “Immune oils then once a week on that for 2 weeks, also fed garlic cloves, 4-5 cloves at a time during this time for several days. I had forgotten that until you ask.
I don’t have any orange peels at the time but will try to get some. I have some lemons, will lemon peels work?

·
Super Moderator
35,020 Posts
Meadow is a high maintenance gal. I would do as suggested and I add doing herbal wormer daily through the worm bloom season. I know that is going to be a pain but it does more than address parasites..it also good food for the body to support and strengthen their immunity. Along with the oils mentioned and garlic.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Meadow is a high maintenance gal. I would do as suggested and I add doing herbal wormer daily through the worm bloom season. I know that is going to be a pain but it does more than address parasites..it also good food for the body to support and strengthen their immunity. Along with the oils mentioned and garlic.
She has been getting the herbals weekly now since the 7 day stretch. I gave the Valbazen/Cydectin today and 5 garlic cloves. She loves garlic and would eat 2 whole bulbs if I would feed it to her. She still has 2 baby’s on her about 3 weeks old. I’ll give the second dose of chemical wormer as before in 10 days and check at the end of the next ten. She has been high maintenance this year but for the last 5 years she has not been so bad. Granny has to get better because she is the “Herd Queen”.

·
Super Moderator
35,020 Posts
Getting older can be an issue sometimes. You're doing great with her.

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,591 Posts
Meadows, my oldest nanny, had a bout with barberpole about 8 weeks ago. She was treated with Valbazen and Cydectin on the now, 10 day and 10 day fecal to see if she needed another dose. She didn’t need the 3rd dose according to fecal but was very anemic and a famacha score of 5. I started with a thiamine shot and then 4 days of vitamin b complex at 6ml, then red cell at 10 ml daily for 7 days, then once a week until I saw a little pick, which was about 3 weeks out. This past Saturday I notice some heavy clumping in the pens where I let them (herd) hang out at night. After a day or two of trying to figure out who was doing the clumping, it was her. I did a fecal on a fresh clump and it was the consistency of a small calf in size and shape. When I collected a fresh part of one of these clumps, it had a very distinct odor of just what it was. When I processed it for the fecal, the mixture was so dark that I had trouble seeing the parasites in the McMaster slide. I did see about 17-18 stomach worms, BP, whip and other. I have never had a fecal this dark before. I am going to give her in the morning, Valbazen @ 10ml and Cydectin @ 23ml (weight 110-120lbs) using 2 different drench guns) unless any of you think differently. We have had some rain off and on and I have cut back on the hay so they all will eat the pasture browse. Her famacha score at present is about a 4. Ideas of what you all would do will be appreciated. I have always had a problem getting her famacha score below a 3. Thanks
Did you look for coccidia oocysts? They don't stand out well in the first place and could be very hard to see in those conditions, but dark stinky poop is typical presentation. Adults are less prone to it than kids but can still get it. If it seems different than when she had high worms levels I'd strongly suspect that.

Also, her kids are at prime age to get it and could pick it up from her so if you see any I'd dose them too. They're borderline for whether or not they could be shedding yet but it can affect them before that.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you look for coccidia oocysts? They don't stand out well in the first place and could be very hard to see in those conditions, but dark stinky poop is typical presentation. Adults are less prone to it than kids but can still get it. If it seems different than when she had high worms levels I'd strongly suspect that.

Also, her kids are at prime age to get it and could pick it up from her so if you see any I'd dose them too. They're borderline for whether or not they could be shedding yet but it can affect them before that.
I was in pens this evening and I saw her heavy clumping again so I collected a sample and ran a fecal. It was not as dark as before when I ran the fecal. I found 7 BP and stomach worms total. I didn’t see any Coccidia but again I maybe overlooking them. Her 2nd dose of Cydectin/Valbazen is 6/26/22 (this Sunday) the temp here has been brutal, today 101f and heat index was 115f. I am keeping electrolytes with vitamins out all during the day and the big goats and the babies are sucking it up. I have about 2 more that their pellets are sticking together. Any ideas on what else I can do?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was in pens this evening and I saw her heavy clumping again so I collected a sample and ran a fecal. It was not as dark as before when I ran the fecal. I found 7 BP and stomach worms total. I didn’t see any Coccidia but again I maybe overlooking them. Her 2nd dose of Cydectin/Valbazen is 6/26/22 (this Sunday) the temp here has been brutal, today 101f and heat index was 115f. I am keeping electrolytes with vitamins out all during the day and the big goats and the babies are sucking it up. I have about 2 more that their pellets are sticking together. Any ideas on what else I can do?
Does anyone have a microscope view of a cocci and a barberpole (picture) you can post for me to see?

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,591 Posts
Does anyone have a microscope view of a cocci and a barberpole (picture) you can post for me to see?
They are much smaller and clear so most of the time you won't see them unless you're looking for them. They're just little blips at 40x.

High magnification
Coin Currency Money Circle Money handling

Scale vs strongyles (phone is being difficult and won't let me upload better resolution.)
Food Automotive parking light Automotive tire Recipe Font

This is one I took, at 100x. The dark spot on the right is just debris.
Brown Amber Wood Tints and shades Ceiling

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,591 Posts
Mine tend to get mucus mixed in with the pellets before it turns to scours, whereas with worms it just gets progressively softer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts