The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I just got this doe she is a Nigerian dwarf with horns. She is beautiful fat and slick. But she rams the fence at me. Since I just got her I have not been in her pasture yet with her. I just pour the hay and food over the pasture. How can I get her out of this. I don't know how she will react when I

Go into the pen with her. Any advice on a attitude adjustment for her. I don't think she has been handled a lot that's why. Any advice. I want to keep her because she would be a wonderful addition to my herd.

·
Premium Member
10,547 Posts
You need to go in with her. She is a Nigi, so she can not hurt you. just RESPECT the horns. That is what I told all my 4Hers.

Take treats with you so she will know you have goodies for her. Did you get in the pen with her before you purchased her?

If you need, take a squirt bottle with a little Vinegar and water in it. When she head butts the fence spray her in the face.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
You need to go in with her. She is a Nigi, so she can not hurt you. just RESPECT the horns. .
But...she could hurt a small child. That is why, regardless of breed, aggression isn't tolerated at my house. I do have small children that visit and will not see one of them get hurt for any reason.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I no thing is she came with a really nice Nigerian dwarf buck and may already be bred. I am keeping him.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is not her but her horns are just like this but a little bit longer and they stick straight up just like this and the are kinda sharp:)

Goat Fawn Goat-antelope Terrestrial animal Snout

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there any way I can get her out of it?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok or just take a stick in with me lol

·
Premium Member
10,547 Posts
But...she could hurt a small child. That is why, regardless of breed, aggression isn't tolerated at my house. I do have small children that visit and will not see one of them get hurt for any reason.
I do understand, but she is not a small child, I said for her to go in. My small kids were always around my Cashmere with horns. I was the only one ever hurt because of my stupid mistakes.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
True

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I do understand, but she is not a small child, I said for her to go in. My small kids were always around my Cashmere with horns. I was the only one ever hurt because of my stupid mistakes.
True...I'm just thinking although the goat can't hurt HER, if she has any small children that will be around....it could hurt them in the future. I've had a kid hit in the face with one of my sweetest does...not a mean issue, just a case of kid in the wrong place at the wrong time and not paying attention...Cinn moved her head and Cheyann's head got in the way. ALWAYS respect the horns!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay

·
Goatless goat momma
7,838 Posts
maybe she's just acting this way b/c she's freaked out in her new surroundings and just protecting her and her buddy? maybe she'll calm down with time and lots and LOTS of treats?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hope so.... Cuz I really like her:)

·
Yes Dear Goat Farm
1,241 Posts
Ok or just take a stick in with me lol
That may just reinforce her thought that humans are BAD and need rammed. Go with the squirt bottle...goats HATE to get wet, especially in the face. :slapfloor:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Think I may do that

·
Premium Member
15,205 Posts
It sounds like she's training you. ;) She rams the fence and you give her food so that's teaching her to continue with the bad behavior.

I would go in the pen with her. Take a squirt gun, spray bottle, or something like a riding crop. You have horses so maybe you have one of those. I also hear you train horses, so you should be able to pick up on subtle cues and body language. When you see her slightest attempt to go after you, she needs a good smack on the nose or a spray bottle to the face should work also. She will quickly learn that going after you gets her no reward, only gets her in trouble. Once you have her acting respectful. You can give her her food. I would also sit with her and try and get her to come up and see that you're a friend not an enemy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.