mean goat?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Gomez150, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Gomez150

Gomez150 New Member

Dec 9, 2009
    I've had my West African Dwarf goat (mixed with some other breed) since he was 6 months old. He is now 5yrs. We goat him castrated at 1 1/2 years. Apparently that was too late. We didn't really know much about goats at the time, bought him at the fair where the lady told me he was a pygmy....he is 100lbs.

Now Gomez has some aggression. When we first got him it was almost winter so he lived in the house till spring time, then we put him out with the chickens. Now he thinks he is a chicken and freaks out if you take him away from them. When he was younger I could lead him around on his halter and he loved following me. :)
    Now if I try to lead him it's a matter of who is stronger. And he always wins. Not only that but he is so aggressive! The hair on his spine stands up, he wags his tail and next thing you know is he is rearing up and trying to hook your leg. :?
    However he is a total sweety when new people are around, but he is terrified of them! He'll hide behind me and act all loving. And he was a weird thing about the color orange. We have an orange shovel and he is so scared of it. I don't know why....

How do I get him to be my nice goat again? My vet wants me to train him to pull a cart but she doesn't understand that he is mean to me. He doesn't know her so he's nice to her.
    help!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    did the aggression recently start or has this been an ongoing problem?

3. Gomez150

Gomez150 New Member

Dec 9, 2009
    It started a couple months before we got him castrated. And it is especially worse in the spring...and I'm assuming it is the same thing like with our stallions at work, hot headed in spring

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    So for years he has been this way you are saying?

If so its very hard to change such behavior once its been learned that is ok. I am assuming he has horns which makes his behavior all the more dangerous.

Try taking a spray bottle with you -- put some vinagar in it and spray him in the eyes when he does anything dangerous. Yes it stings and no it wont damage his eyes.

He needs to associate his behavior with something bad happening. THis is easier to correct when they are younger and not as set in their ways. But he may change if he see you as boss once again. You have to establish your dominance over him.

Another way to do this is to flip him on his side and sit on him till he relaxes and gives up.

Goats are herd animals and he certainly has decided that the chickens are his herd.

5. Gomez150

Gomez150 New Member

Dec 9, 2009
    I'll try that! Thank you. Yes, he does have horns.
    We've tried flipping him over on his side but that just makes him very mad and has never seemed to help

6. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    In my experience, you will not change him and he could injure somebody. I'd sell him for a meat goat or have BBQ.

7. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    We had one like that. We ended up having to sell him to be a brush goat. I worked with him daily for 5 months. But he came that way it was not a new behaver.

8. Gomez150

Gomez150 New Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Oh =[
    I'm not going to sell him though...i feel bad about not spending time with him but I can't cause he can be so mean. Although lately he's been pretty good.

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Try the spray bottle and NEVER touch his head or horns when he acts up, or any other time for that matter. Contact with the horns or head is an act of aggression....even in play with goats. Also, you flipping him on his side and sitting on him til he gives up is the key....not letting him up when he is mad and feisty sort of breaks his spirit, if you give in he will know that he can overpower you.

Is that Gomez in your avatar? If so, I'd say he definately is a cross as pygmies generally are not that color or pattern :wink:

10. Gomez150

Gomez150 New Member

Dec 9, 2009
    What do you think he is crossed with? Some one from the fair said he looked like a West African Dwarf goat, but the lady i bought him from said he was a pygmy....and that he wouldn't get about 40-50 pounds. He's 100lbs. He has brown patches on both of his shoulders, and his legs are brown.

I will definitely stay away from his horns, I generally don't touch them. As for the flipping him over thing, we used to do that and ya know what he'd do? He'd resist at first and then he'd realize there was grass and eat.

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    a picture would help == and wethers are known for getting overweight easily and they can get bigger then does or bucks since they have no function and jsut eat and sleep

12. Gomez150

Gomez150 New Member

Dec 9, 2009
    [​IMG] that is the best one i have on this computer. He has 1 brown spot on both shoulders and brown legs.

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    He looks like a nigerian dwarf.....and a cute one too!

14. Gomez150

Gomez150 New Member

Dec 9, 2009
    He is cute =] Just has an attitude problem. He used to be like a puppy, he would follow me around and when he started living outside (he lived inside for the winter) he'd stand at our front door waiting for us.

I google imaged Nigerian Dwarf Goat and all of those goat have longer legs and look smaller.
    [​IMG]

15. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    That side view almost looks like boar/dwarf cross.

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    looks like a fainter to me --- might be a nigerian dwarf fainter cross. :shrug: I had one for a few weeks and she didnt faint (was to friendly and had the nigerian dwarf in her).

my Sweet Pea resembles your boys markings -- but his horns make him look Fainter as well as his build and you said his size is larger then a nigerian dwarf.

His ears are to small to be mixed with a boer IMO but that is also possible I guess.

17. Gomez150

Gomez150 New Member

Dec 9, 2009
    He's a 100lbs and kinda stocky. But he's never fainted, in the 5 years i've owned him. Wouldn't the lady I bought him from of known if his parents were fainters? There was a whole herd of them to choose from.

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  19. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Your "badboy is very cute" just show him you the alpha goat and he is not.

20. Gomez150

Gomez150 New Member

Dec 9, 2009
    She looks just like him! He hasn't been officially weighed, that is just what my vet estimated him to be. Plus he's a little bit chunky from stealing the chicken's grain.
    I would really like to teach him to pull a cart, and if its anything like it is with horses his attitude would get better with more physical exercise?