Mean Goat

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by 67-72williso, May 22, 2010.

1. 67-72williso

67-72williso New Member

May 9, 2010
    Manheim PA
    At the end of the day today when I was heading toward the gate to leave my one Billy Pygmy goat wanted to fight me, not sure why. He was kinda hanging out right by the gate as I was rubbing the other two billy goats on the way out. As I got nere the gate he charged at me so I grabbed him by the horns and put him down but as soon as I let him up he would it again. This went for about ten minute them I lead him by the horns to the gate and let myself out. He is the leed goat of the three and he is a bully. As this was going on the other two were standing back and half around the corner of the hay rack just looking out as if they wanted me to put him in his place. At one point I had him locked down pretty hard and he let out a yell the outer ones just looked because it is normaly yelling because of him banging them around. I was out side the gate for a couple minutes and them went back in and he seem ok then. Not sure what that was about.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome!
    Did he seem to back off after you entered the pen the second time? If he did then he was likely treating you like he would his herd mates...just to see if you would back down. How old ids he? I have noticed at least with my 3 boys that though they are all sweet and innocent as babies/yearlings, once they hit 2 years it seemed they felt they had something to prove. You did right by putting him to the ground, do it again repeatedly if you need to, he needs to know that you sre "top goat".
    Are there any does close by that ae in heat? Though the mini breeds breed year round they do have a strong rut in the fall...if there is a doe around, he could be feeling his oats.

3. 67-72williso

67-72williso New Member

May 9, 2010
    Manheim PA
    Hi! Liz
    They are about two and a half years old. It was like a he want be the boss. :devilish: I think the other goats like it when I made him yell. I guess he was feeling his oats it was a nice day and they were really happy. They got it made out in the woods althougth it was tought this past winter with the snow.
    Willis

Attached Files:

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    welcome :wave:

sounds like you were handling it ok == thats great that you did go back in afterward too. Nipping this behavior in the bud is most important. If you can sit on him (like his shoulder) and keep him down for a couple min till he gives up then you know you have won and he wont challenge you.

5. 67-72williso

67-72williso New Member

May 9, 2010
    Manheim PA
    Hi! Stacey
    Yeah! I think that being the boss went to his head. lol
    Take care
    Willis

6. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Welcome! You did great putting him on the ground. Be glad he is a mini. Mine weighs 160+ Pounds. It took me awhile, but I did get him to the ground. Slapping him hard across the face makes him think too. (and easier) :greengrin:

Gina

7. 67-72williso

67-72williso New Member

May 9, 2010
    Manheim PA
    Thanks Gina, I will have to remember that.
    Willis

8. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    How is he acting toward you now? Any change since his "take down" :laugh:

Gina