Mean mama

Discussion in 'Goat of the Month' started by Viki, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Viki

Viki Active Member

Oct 29, 2017
    Ok so i have 2 female goats one is the mama to the other both just had babies. Is it normal for the mama to be mean to her daughter? She has never been like this until the new babies arrived. Mama is almost 3 and her daughter is 7 months so she still relies on her mama even though she is a new mama herself.

Trollmor and Goat town like this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

That is normal. The daughter got pregnant at 2 months old? You are going to need to watch her condition closely as she lost a lot of growing time with growing babies instead.

Trollmor and Goat_Scout like this.

3. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    When they kid the whole dam-daughter relationship changes, and it's just each doe for herself. My dam-daughter pair that was really close would always get aggressive toward each other after kidding and then go back to normal when the kids were a few months old.

SalteyLove likes this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh yes, they do push them off, they worry about that kid stealing from her new ones. But that isn't always the intention of the older offspring, but that is the mind set of them. ;)

Goat_Scout likes this.
  5. Viki

Viki Active Member

Oct 29, 2017
    Ik she is doing very good. Shes trying to be a good mama only very young so not so good at it. She doing great though and al babies and mams are healthy

toth boer goats likes this.
  6. Viki

Viki Active Member

Oct 29, 2017
    She hasnt been feeding off mom for awhile now.

toth boer goats likes this.
  7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  8. Viki

Viki Active Member

Oct 29, 2017
    Is it normal for the other goats to try head butting the new baby? My two females who are mother and daughter just had babies 2 are 9 days old the other is 4 days old but the mother seems to be very aggressive torwards her daughters baby and her. She pushes her away from the grain and alfalfa and the daughter needs it more them mama cause she isnt even producing milk ive been bottle feeding since day 1

9. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You need to separate them if she may injure the kid. At minimum you need to separate at feeding time.

Goat_Scout and goatblessings like this.
  10. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Mamas will protect their own kids, and also try to maintain her kids at the top of the pecking order. I would separate them until the new baby is older. Then make sure to provide an escape area in case of bullying.

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  12. TexasGoatMan

TexasGoatMan Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Dekalb, Texas
    For what it is worth, I will put the new mama and kids in a stall for 3 or 4 days and let them have time to bond and that way I can be sure that the babies are nursing and mama is feeding them all and I can also feed mama and be sure she is getting plenty of hay, water, feed and anything else if needed. The stalls are 10 ft by 8 ft square, not large but big enough so they have enough room for a few days with out getting too messy. Of course I clean the stalls to some extent during this time also. After kidding, first day, I give the mama a bucket of warm water approximately 1 gallon with approximately 3 table spoons of backstrap molasses mixed in. It has some iron and hydrates then too, they love it. The second day I give some water with gator aid mixed in and they love it. I find that after 3 or 4 days the babies are able to get out of the way of another doe fairly well given
    enough room. I keep hay out and the does usually are eating hay and not paying much attention to babies. If the weather is nice and warm the mamas will be out in the lot or pasture feeding which doesn't confine the new mamas in a small space which helps eliminate bulling to some degree. However anyone that knows goats knows that goats will be goats to other goats. :( Some dominance will be shown. Their lot containing the barn is approximately 1 1/2 acres in size so they have room to move around while still penned up.

Attached Files:

groovyoldlady likes this.
  13. Viki

Viki Active Member

Oct 29, 2017
    There pen isnt large its 10 by 20 and i have 2 birthing stalls although the mama who gave birth 9 days ago no longer uses it. They can go in and out as they please intil it gets dark then i put them in the pen. Its really cold here in the 20s and low 30s. Also while bottle feeding do you still get up thru the night to feed? I have been for 4 days now and im beyond exhausted but i will do whats necassary to keep these babies alive and healthy.

14. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    If you can't separate them, just make sure there are multiple places they can access grain, hay, and water.

15. Viki

Viki Active Member

Oct 29, 2017
    I do have them seperated cause i dont want anyone getting hurt. I was told to wait a couple weeks until the babies are fast enough to get away from the bulling

16. TexasGoatMan

TexasGoatMan Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Dekalb, Texas
    Viki, we don’t do the bottle feeding thing. So far I haven’t needed to yet. We let mamas and babies run together all the time. Our #1 doe has had 3 babies the last 2 kiddings. We let the babies nurse until they are 3 weeks old and we will make some human kid happy by giving them the one kid that we least want to keep. That way the baby we are giving away has had a good start in life. The 2 we keep then has plenty of milk to grow strong and healthy. I feel for you having to bottle feed, but if I were you I believe I would feed the kid late as possible and then get some rest and get up early and feed again. Then during the day a couple of times. If it is really cold you may want to hang a heat lamp up high out of their reach but direct the heat over to a corner where they can use it if they want. The baby probably needs it Others on this form may have different opinions as to what my take is. Good luck with the kid. I like a goat with milk blood so there is enough milk for the babies and me.

17. Viki

Viki Active Member

Oct 29, 2017
    Yes thats what im doing now. I feed her as late as possible then get up early and feed. No more overnights as she is getting some milk from mama. I do have a heatlamp out there for the babies and so far they seem content as they havent been shivering and are nice and warm when i check on them. 2 of the babies that are 9 days old are all over the place and actually sleep together in the barrell
    I use for hay lol its to cute. Thankyou for all your advice