The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to cut out an area in the barn so the goats can out out to a fenced in chain link pen area if they need to (they free range during the day though). Does anyone have any suggestion on the size of the cut out so full grown nigerians can exit. I also don't know what kind of "flap" (for lack of a better word) or plywood to secure the cut out from external elements rain, snakes etc. Also better doing it from the inside or outside? Ideas? Pics would be helpful.

All suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,469 Posts
I'm not sure on the measurements. But I have seen several barns that have sliding doors that slide up and down. There's usually rope attached to the top of the door. The rope runs over a pulley or two on the ceiling or rafters and the end is in easy reach of the goat keeper. You can pull it open and cinch it on a hook if you want to keep it open. If you want to close it you make sure no one is in the doorway and let it down.

It's a pretty slick little system!

·
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah it seems okay. I would be afraid if I didn't secure it right, it could fall down on them. I know a lady in another town that used a hard plastic flap on the outside the goats went in and out... I'm trying to find a way, if there is an emergency and I'm not here, that they can go in and out and still be safe that nothing gets in the barn... also to be warm in the winter without a draft coming in. I really need to know what the measurements would be so I don't make a mistake...lol

I'm not sure on the measurements. But I have seen several barns that have sliding doors that slide up and down. There's usually rope attached to the top of the door. The rope runs over a pulley or two on the ceiling or rafters and the end is in easy reach of the goat keeper. You can pull it open and cinch it on a hook if you want to keep it open. If you want to close it you make sure no one is in the doorway and let it down.

It's a pretty slick little system!

·
8,113 Posts
Cut the opening as perfect as you can, hinge one side so it can be fastened open. Over the opening, a flap of rubber, heavy canvas or even a piece of carpet would work.

Make the opening large enough so you can climb through if needed!

I used rubber and rolled it over a 2"x2" piece of wood, used long wood screws with washers and fastened it to the top of the opening.
Cut rubber just a tiny bit narrower than the opening and a little longer so rain runs down it on the outside.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Do YOU want to be able to fit through? If yes, how big are you? Do you want to crawl through or walk through?

If YOU will EVER need to go through this opening, you need it to be wide enough for you to fit through. Measure your body (including swinging arms) add a couple inches inches for carrying things, weight gain, etc. Height: your height while wearing the tallest shoes you own (even if it's heels, because you know there will be an emergency some day where you are caught in those heels and forget to kick them off as you run to fix the problem), plus a few inches to account for a bounce in your step.

If no:

Height: to make sure your Nigerians can walk through, measure up to their shoulders. If they are all mature, then just add 3+ inches to the tallest height account for a bounce in their step as they move. They can duck their heads to get where they want to go. If you don't want them to have to duck their heads, then have the tallest stand with head lifted high, and measure that height. If they have horns, you'll have to add more height to account for horn growth.

Width: Got an old, heavily preggo doe who has lost her girlish figure and has a full rumen? Measure her triple wide self, add a couple more inches for waddling so she doesn't hit the sides. If you don't have a doe like this, measure the widest of them and add 2.5 feet to each side (one for a full rumen, one and a half for babies when their body REALLY knows how to stretch to fit quads...)

I'm afraid I don't have better than that for how big it should be. It depends on the size of your does/bucks. I have Nigerians, but they are all really young, and none preggo, so I can't go measure mine for you.

·
8,113 Posts
Any opening will require you to have to go through it, at least once.
In an emergency, you do not want to have to run outside and go around to wherever that yard is. A goat can squeeze through some pretty small areas, until you want them to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts