Measurements for raised goat beds

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by P Miller, Feb 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. P Miller

P Miller New Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Wanting to get my goats off the stall floor for sleeping but am looking for advice about size of beds. I have 2 Nigerian dwarfs (doe and wether) and cashmere x wether with horns. I'm thinking 3 beds - approx 2'x3' each, about 18" off the stall floor, with a 8" edging all around to keep the bedding in. I know they will sleep where they want, no matter what I do, but do you think my idea will work?

2. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    I personally would make one larger bed, instead of three smaller ones. At night, my goats (even the lowest on the totem pole) snuggle together in a gigantic pile. :) They do that regardless of whether it is cold out or humid/hot.

You may also have to make a ramp or a stool of some sort, so that your goats can climb up more easily. (A few of mine don’t like jumping up on things so high, while others will leap onto anything in site.)

Kath G. and MellonFriend like this.

3. Kath G.

Kath G. Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Wisconsin
    Also be attentive, for the ones who leap onto anything in sight, what the raised beds might put them within possible jumping distance of

Kaigypsygoats likes this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  5. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    @Goat_Scout - seriously? Are they all somewhat related or purchased together? My does can hardly stand to be laying within 2 feet of a doe they are not directly related to or purchased with. It's funny when I go to the barn at night in cold weather - there are just groups of 2-3 does fiercely snuggling but absolutely not touching "the enemies" NO MATTER HOW COLD.

Goat_Scout likes this.
  6. Kath G.

Kath G. Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Wisconsin
    Ditto here, glad mine aren't just anti-social!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  8. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    LOL! Mine are brutally mean to each other during the day, but at night, yeah - it’s so sweet how they are all piled up together! I never knew it until the first night of kidding watch, in late December.
    The only ones that are related to each other are a mama/son-from-last-year pair, and practically all of the rest are from different farms. There are two (one Saanen who is the BIGGEST bully EVER, and then her Lamancha friend, same age) that we bought together, and they are besties. Two other does we bought from the same farm, but we bought them 6 months apart and they don’t appear remember each other...

SalteyLove likes this.
  9. Lstein

Lstein Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    North Dakota
    Most of mine right now originate from 3 does, so we have 4 piles.

Merryweather + daughters + granddaughters in one pile

Ethel + daughters + granddaughters in 2nd pile

Lucy + daughters + granddaughters in 3rd pile

and 4th pile is the dreaded, outcast "others" pile. :rolleyes: