Measurements Re: Milking Stands..

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by lupinfarm, Mar 26, 2010.

1. lupinfarm

lupinfarm New Member

I have some old wood hanging around, 4x4s, and the like and was wondering how big you guys' milk stands are. Would 3ft x 4ft be big enough for a boer/nubian/sanaan?

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Yes--that should be plenty big enough :)

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Well, my milk stand is 18"x 24" and it's for mini's so I would imagine the measurements you have would work for standards.

4. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    I raise standard Oberhasli, and my stand is 3 x 3 feet square. (My DH just built it last week!) I asked him to give me that extra foot on the side so I could just sit on the stand instead of trying to get a stool close enough to milk. It works great!

5. lupinfarm

lupinfarm New Member

Do you find that 3ft long is long enough? Our doelings will be 1/2 Boer, 1/4 Sanaan, 1/4 Nubian... I just keep thinking about the Sanaan I saw on the weekend at the farm our girls are coming from and she was enormous lol.

I think I'm going to make the stand 2ft wide instead, and maybe 3.5ft-4ft long.

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    LOL...I should have specified, mine is 18" from floor to top of the platform, 4 feet long and 2 feet wide...the length is suitable for my longer mini does and the width is perfect enough that I don't need to strain to reach a doe that decides to hug the wall. I sit on a plastic milk crate next to them, easy on the back and makes me the right height to milk comfortably

7. lupinfarm

lupinfarm New Member

Would 4ft long be okay for boer/nubian/sanaans? I'm not super concerned about my little gals, but we're buying 2 doelings that are 1/2 boer 1/4 sanaan 1/4 nubian in a couple months.

We're going to do 2ft wide by 4ft long

8. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Our milkstand is 3ft long and the Snubian and Nubian does fit just fine. The 4ft would just goive a bit more room in the back. 2ft wide sounds fine also unless you want to sit on it with her. If your sitting on it as you milk I would make it 6"wider.

9. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Fiasco Farm has a cool set of plans for a wood milk stand that should give you a good idea of the dimensions that seem to work. I followed their plans using scrap we had laying around after our deck was built and it was perfect!

http://fiascofarm.com/goats/milkstand.html

10. lupinfarm

lupinfarm New Member

I have dial-up (28k!!) so I can't open their pdf, but I've so far come up with my own design kind of based on the photos I could see of their stand. I'm going 2ft wide by 4ft long.